• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

40 Thieves

Passing Data.

This topic is 6924 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Basic Question: Is there any way to pass data to an already executing program through another program that can shell it? Explanation: I''m writing a program in a language that doesn''t have network support, but it allows to shell other programs from it. So I figured that if I could write a C++ program that could handle networking, then I could just get the data to that program... I considered using files, but that just seems like it would be too slow for what I want... I don''t need blazing network speed, but I don''t want something turn based. I could keep loading and closing the C++ program, but that would also be snailly slow. So I was curious if there was a way I could get data to this existing C++ program without loading and closing it all the time. Thanks In Advance for all your help.... 40 www.databyss.com www.omlettesoft.com "Don''t meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

Advertisement
It really depends on your target OS and language features.

Does your language support I/O on pipes? If so you can probably execute your C++ program and redirect it''s pipes on standard in and standard out.

Other options in Win32 include memory mapped files, mail slots, passing data on windows messages, etc.

I''m sorry I forgot about that stuff..

I''m developing my game on Win9x and that is also my target audience... my game programming language is Dark Basic, which is still young and developing and is basically a BASIC interface for DirectX, but it doesn''t support the DirectX networking stuff yet.... My networking language will be C++.

Could you direct me to more information on those options you discussed?

www.databyss.com
www.omlettesoft.com

"Don''t meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!