• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sentinel

Hardware T&L acceleration

This topic is 6923 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know what program must do to take full advantage of hardware T&L in DirectX 7.0?? What my program does now is: 1. Create one vertex buffer with flags D3DVBCAPS_WRITEONLY 2. Fill whole vertex buffer 3. Draw vertex buffer 4. Goto 2 I have a particle system demo, and i get 8 fps with 100 000 particles (200 000 vertex). I think that GeForce could do more...

Advertisement
Read this: Optimizing Direct3D for the GeForce 256 by nVidia

I would try breaking up the rendering into several calls. It takes quite a while to fill the whole vertex buffer, during that time the GeForce might have finished rendering its previous call. Perhaps if you make a DrawPrimitiveVB() call after each 1000 vertices, you might be able to keep the card busy while the CPU is busy filling the vertex buffer. If that doesn''t do anything try different numbers.

This assumption is of course made upon that your card is lying idle for some time between DrawPrimitiveVB() calls.

- WitchLord

Laarz: Yes I use IID_IDirect3DTnLHalDevice
WitchLord: So I create more smaller vertex buffers and then switch them after DrawPrimitiveVB?

I don''t believe that you have to create several small VBs. Just fill in a 1000 vertices, call DrawPrimitiveVB() and then lock with DDLOCK_NOOVERWRITE or DDLOCK_DISCARDCONTENTS, and DDLOCK_WRITEONLY that way you don''t have to wait for Direct3D to send it to the card before continuing.

Anyway, this is just a suggestion of mine, I haven''t tried it myself so I can''t verify the performance. It might be slower, but I don''t beleive so.

- WitchLord

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!