ok, now that i got a compiler

Started by
2 comments, last by Neen10do 21 years, 2 months ago
i have visual c++ 6.0. i want to create a 2d shooter using directx ( more specifically direct draw). now i would know how to go about learning this in visual basic (still not real solid on directx, but implementing that isn''t going to be my problem because i bought game programming all in one, and its on its way here) but to get started before the book arrives... how would i go about setting up a project for a 2d directx games? there are so many project types. my educated guess would be a win32 application, but not the empty project, but the one that sets it up for you (not the hello world program, however). can anyone give me some advice to start out? im not new to programming (or c++ for that matter, since im taking school classes, ap c++ data structures etc) but gaming and graphics is a new concept to me (only in c++, as i can create bitblt games in visual basic.) im tired of the hand holding of vb, and am ready to harness the power of c++, thanks for any help you guys can give me! i code therefore i am.
----------------------i code therefore i am.Aero DX - Coming to a bored Monitor near you!
Advertisement
Setup an empty C++ Win GUI app workspace. Add the DirectX libs to the workspace(DDRAW.LIB and DXGUID.LIB), add it to the compilers paths where it can find the DX headers(Or just installed the SDK on top of the DX3(or 5?) SDK which comes VC6. I think you just install the SDK in DISK:\whatever\VC98\(Same folder as where VC is) so it replaces the old files. #include the needed files and you''re ready to code.

Sand Hawk

----------------
-Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.

My Site
----------------(Inspired by Pouya)
what exactly do you mean by win GUI workspace? the only thing simular to that i can chose is a win32 application. is this the same thing? and i dont want an empty project, do i? do i want to select "a simple win32 application" ? i may not be new to programming, but im new to the VC++ compiler (because we use codewarrior at school), if you guys could clear this up it would be greatly appreciated.

i code therefore i am.
----------------------i code therefore i am.Aero DX - Coming to a bored Monitor near you!
Windows Application is the correct project type. Creating an empty Windows Application is just fine too.

Qui fut tout, et qui ne fut rien
Invader''s Realm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement