Game Database question.

Started by
4 comments, last by RatLord 21 years, 2 months ago
Hi there - first post so go easy on me.... Im writting an elite style space tradin game as a personal project. The main problem I face is Keeping track of huge numbers of game entities - I plan to use a Database to manage this on a sector by sector basis. My question is .... wheere to begin - can anyone recommend a good Database to use - and possibly suggest a book or tutorial to get me started. Database programming is something i have very little experience in (part of the reason I wish to use one). Thanks in Advance Ratty
Advertisement
everyone has their own personal favorite, but i recommend mySQL. If you really want ease of use then you cant beat Access, but it doesnt scale as well as mySQL.
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
Would this database keep track of absolutely everything in a sector (i.e planets, ships, spaceports, trading prices, etc).

I’m not too sure if that’s the right approach for this type of game as the database would become huge.

The original Elite used the concept of psudo random numbers, the idea being that you can reproduce the same sequence of random numbers on a computer given using the same algorithm and seed value as before.

Infinite Game Universe: Mathematical Techniques

Is pretty good and might give you some good ideas.
Some things to consider:

(1) Redistribution. Are you going to give away ( or sell ) your game to others? If so you''ll want to consider that your install program will have to copy any needed runtime libraries and appropriate licenses for whatever database you choose.

(2) Ease of use. Environment wise MSVC 5/6/.NET coupled with Access is very simple and there are tons of examples.

Personally I would come up with my own object model and serialization routines and do a custom file i/o solution. Easy to do and you don''t have to worry about either of the above points.

- J
Jeff OutlawPresidentDigitalOutlawhttp://www.digitaloutlaw.com
quote:Original post by joutlaw
Personally I would come up with my own object model and serialization routines and do a custom file i/o solution. Easy to do and you don''t have to worry about either of the above points.
- J

Though I agree with that, I''d recommend to read through a database tutorial. The concept are pretty much the same and
knowing about keys, normalizing and general data organiation helps a lot when implementing your own system.

So my advice would be first going for some database tutorials and then implementing a simple file-based object serialization module.

Yah I will be using pseudo random numbers to initially populate my galaxy - but I want changes made by the player to persist so I once a system has been generated I will store it.

Making my own database seems like an awful lot of work for a home game project

Maybe I will then - Havnt done that since Uni!!
Anyone point me at any good docs on database programming then

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement