Warcraft III program language

Started by
16 comments, last by dannyxyz23 21 years, 2 months ago
Precisely, Watson! On further inspection, I can say without a doubt that it was an orc that perpetrated this crime. Specifically, a green orc. One who is left-handed and was carrying a large weight on his right shoulder.

-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Ready4Dis
LOL, how reliable were they? I highly doubt it was made in VB, but you never know. I beleive they have always used C and C++ in the past, and don't see why they would revert to Visual Basic for a more advanced 3d engine. I would hazzard a guess that it was written in C or C++. Considering visual basic would be a *pain* to create dynamic units/buildings and such (no linked lists, and creating a new array, copying data, rediming current array, copying data back, and deleting new array isn't efficient enough to fill in). Maybe a map editor was written in VB, but I highly doubt the game or game engine was.

heh, apparently, i left my < sarcasm > tag open...

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

Do NOT let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor!

[edited by - eldee on January 27, 2003 11:12:31 PM]

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
Thank you all.
Just because everyone is tunned could you just tell me how would I draw a shape, like a rectangle for instance, in C. But I Mean IN REAL RAW C CODE, without using graphic libraries such as Allegro, Directx or OpenGL. Would I have to assemble it, or something like? By the way, drawing an image to the screen is just like changing the values of the video memory in the exact place where it displays it? I am not so sure I know how it works?!?
You don''t, except maybe in old OSes that didn''t protect hardware and memory and prevent direct access. You would have to use some kind of graphics library in windows, be it the GDI, open GL, direct x, etc.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
While you could write the routines directly to the devices rather than use an API, this is what you limit yourself to:
the parts on YOUR computer.

If you use APIs like OpenGL or something, you allow your program to run on more than just your specific video card. Same goes for other devices, like sound.

While I find it great that you want to deal with all code yourself, there is actually a name for that: The Not-Built-Here mantra.
This is not usually considered a good thing.

In any case, the previous poster is right. If you use DOS (might I mention using QBasic?) or an older OS that doesn''t provide APIs directly, then you can use assembly all you want to deal with video and sound.

Other than that, learning an API ensures your program works on more than just your machine.
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
quote:Original post by Ready4Dis
...and creating a new array, copying data, rediming current array, copying data back, and deleting new array isn''t efficient enough to fill in...

Hm, is that supposed to resize a dynamic array without deleting the existing data? You could just use "ReDim Preserve..." for that...

(just trying to be smart)

You can also have linked lists in VB, if you code them
yourself, but its harder to get them to work well with all different data types. You could use variants, I guess, but its still messy

i bet teh blizzard programmers have keyobards with only ''0'' and ''1'' on them
(0110101101000110)The Murphy Philosophy: Smile . . . tomorrow will be worse.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement