Warcraft III program language

Started by
16 comments, last by dannyxyz23 21 years, 2 months ago
Does anyone knows in what language was Warcraft III programmed? Oh, by the way, is 320x240 the resolution used in consoles such SEGA Genesis or Super Nes and, yet by the way, what does the consoles bits mean, is the color depth? ( the bits I mean are like Super Nes is 16 bit console while the old Nintendo is only 8 bits). Thanks
Advertisement
Yeah, I believe that the console bits mean the color depth. However, if you take a look at the original Mario Brothers and Mario 3, it almost is like the graphics are better, so it''s harder to say. Yet in the same breathe, Sega later got into polygon usage, so the bits per second had to be higher, to add more depth. Does this answer your question on consoles? -Tay
Taylor G.
Yeah, I believe that the console bits mean the color depth. However, if you take a look at the original Mario Brothers and Mario 3, it almost is like the graphics are better, so it''s harder to say. Yet in the same breathe, Sega later got into polygon usage, so the bits per second had to be higher, to add more depth. Does this answer your question on consoles? -Tay
Taylor G.
Pretty much. Still, have you got a guess about Warcraft III programming language?
thanks
Incorrect... the bit after it refers to the CPU that was used. Nintendo used an 8-bit processor, while sega used a 16-bit cpu.
Actually, I was always under the impression that the bits had to do with the amount of bits for the data types, along the same lines of how Win3.1 is 16 bit and Win95+ is 32, and now they are even making 64 bit OSs.

The above poster beat me =P

[edited by - Lunatic Raven on January 27, 2003 10:48:16 PM]
"...."
Yup, i'm just to fast for ya . The cpu bit depth is how many bits it can process at one time (or, the default it can anyways.. some 32-bit cpu's can process 64 bits at a time, but the default is still 32, same with the nintendo.. it was an 8-bit cpu, but you could use 16-bit integers on it, if you couldn't, you wouldn't be able to store a number large enough for a vertical resolution of 320 pixels).

** Edit **
By the way, the OS has nothing to do with the cpu bit depth... win 3.1 was a 16-bit addon to a 16-bit operating system (dos), which was originally written on/for a 16-bit cpu... it runs on 32-bit cpu's because they are backwards compatible, but natively were made for 32-bit data.

[edited by - Ready4Dis on January 27, 2003 10:58:41 PM]
quote:Original post by dannyxyz23
Pretty much. Still, have you got a guess about Warcraft III programming language?
thanks

reliable sources told me that it was coded in visual basic

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

Do NOT let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor!

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
LOL, how reliable were they? I highly doubt it was made in VB, but you never know. I beleive they have always used C and C++ in the past, and don''t see why they would revert to Visual Basic for a more advanced 3d engine. I would hazzard a guess that it was written in C or C++. Considering visual basic would be a *pain* to create dynamic units/buildings and such (no linked lists, and creating a new array, copying data, rediming current array, copying data back, and deleting new array isn''t efficient enough to fill in). Maybe a map editor was written in VB, but I highly doubt the game or game engine was.
I''m guessing that eldee was trying to make a joke. Poking around in the binaries reveals that Warcraft III was written in C++ (Visual C++ specifically).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement