Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zakalwe

Looking for some advice.

Zakalwe    122
Im looking for a bit of advice on starting games programming but dont completely know where to go from the stage Im currently at. Im not completely new to programming, Im currently studying computing science at university and have already completed a semester of C/C++ programming, culminating in a console based Blackjack game, but with no real object oriented programming as of yet, but hopefully this should give a rough idea about the sort of stage I am at with C/C++. I also done an introductory module to games development the same semester in darkBASIC at the end of which I had submitted a small pacman style game, which wasnt great, but taught me alot of the basic fundamentals of 2D programming. What I want to know is where I should go from here? Although I didnt have much of a problem with the darkBASIC language, I really didnt like the IDE and dont want to continue using it. I want to try and get started with directX, but should I first of all try and improve my C++ programming before I start with this? Even although I do enjoy programming normal applications, my main interest in programming is towards games and I would like to just launch straight into this even though it may be a bit difficult - but Im ready for a challenge . I did look at the begginers section on the site and have downloaded the directX SDK, but still didnt really know whereabouts to go from here. Sorry for the length of this post - any advice would be much appreciated . Thanks.

__seeker__    122
I would say continue learning OOP before trying advanced games. It wouldn''t be too difficult to make a Tetris clone without classes or OOP. I made one relatively quickly using classes, but without *real* object-oriented programming (no inheritance or polymorphism).

I would suggest making Tetris using classes because it would be a good intro to the basics of object-oriented programming, but would be easy to plan and code (I would say much easier than Pac-man), then moving on to bigger and better things.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
What university are you at? I thought most british uni''s only taught java as their OOP language?

Zakalwe    122
Im at Paisley Uni in Scotland.

The C/C++ stuff that we have covered so far didnt really contain any object oriented stuff, just C console programming. We are going to be doing java this semester I think.

HG    122
The University of Reading start with Delphi (1st and 2nd years), introduce C at the start of the 2nd year, and C++ and Java at the start of the 3rd year (which is, thanks to the reassignment of the terms, the end of the second actual year at Uni!).

They also cover Caml-Light, Pop-11, and a few others here and there.

Nottingham (where I have also been) start and continue with Java - which I consider to be a bad thing.
First lecture they went on about the benefits of Java - garbage collection, la la la - and this to people who may have never studied programming before. It sounded very desperate.