Mage duel action deathmatch game, what u all think bout this idea....

Started by
20 comments, last by Codejoy 21 years, 2 months ago
Good points. Basically there is a fundamental immbalance with the gesture idea anyway. Because "gesturing" is difficult to do you reduce much of the skill in the timing to a matter of "gesture ability". Also, a mouse movement program could easily pull off a gesture WAY quicker than a human could. I probably wouldn''t use the gesture system or what I''d do is allow them to gesture but don''t actually start the spell casting until AFTER they have completed the gesture, at which point the other player has their time to react. This means that the casting time isn''t dependent upon the time it takes the player to gesture but rather on a static time, predetermined for each spell.

RandomTask
Advertisement
I dunno, a magic-based FPS soudns cool to me...
A change from the usual UT.

I''d say the very concept is semi-innotative enough not to get hairy over the other stuff...

I''d go for a skill/level system where the more you use spells the more skill you get; the more skill you get the better the spell gets and you can get more spells.

I wouldn`t do gesture stuff- it might work, but it would probably be a headache to learn. I''d say that it would be better for a sword game.

For controls, I would do functionally UT-type controls:
wasd, plus numbers for spells(you can hit a button multiple times and cycle through), then point with the mouse.

Interface- again,I like UT.

You might get special items/powerups from places in the level(remark: this would be much more believeable in a magic setting than in a tech setting like quake or UT.)

Bigger spells are at the top of the level system(yes there is a level cap- make the skill points go up exponentially), and take longer to cast.

So anyway, I say a 3d FPS with option to switch to follow-player view. Much like Jedi Knight/JUedi Outcast.

I would buy that if the demo was fun.

Codejoy: look into Jedi Knight aka Dark Forces 2. The demo ''should'' be floating around online somewhere.
Its a 1997 game, so the sys specs shouldn`t be too bad.
The graphics arn`t bad with a Voodoo3 accelerator.

If you really feel like making life fun and fulfilling, you can find the GPL Q2 or Q3 sources and hack that into a mage-based FPS. Dunno if UT''s had its code GPL''d.

V''lion

Bugle4d
~V'lionBugle4d

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement