GeforceFX some questions

Started by
52 comments, last by Basiror 21 years, 2 months ago
i have seen a listing yesterday which mentioned nv30 nv34 and a nv40( with 150 million transistors) and on a forum i have read that there will be a card with 1gb DDR2 ram further research didn t clarify anything there don t seem the be any definite tech specifications for nv40 cards doesn anyone have a list of all the gf fx models which will be released? i am thinking about getting the top model of the gffx series but theres not very much information i could find about it and what about the release date february or when?
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
Advertisement
http://www.nvidia.com/docs/lo/2430/SUPP/PO_GeForceFX_1102.pdf
Hello,

Here you go: http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030127/index.html

Regards,
Deficte
Regards,
Deficte
simple said: don''t get it.

it eats more power than any other gpu
it produces more noise than any other gpu
it produces more heat than any other gpu
it weights more than any other gpu
it needs more space than any other gpu
it is not really bether than any other gpu.

that card is overclocked right from the start. wait for the r350 releases, wich are higher clocked r300''s. they will beat out the gfFX.

that card is half a year later than the ati card, yet it nearly can''t win against it. nvidia cheated on pixel quality to gain performance, see anandtech.com. on equal image quality, it looses in about every test against the radeon. and this for a higher price, too...

if you want noise that is hearable in other rooms, get that card.
if you want to heaten up your processor by a card producing up to 140°C on the backside (there where your processor is).
if you want to play games/use apps, then get the radeon instead.
cheaper,more quiet (even passive cooling version does exist!),cooler, simply smarter.

go get the videos on anandtech and let them run over your speakers. you will get scared away from the gfFX:D that sound is terrible

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

1. GeforceFX isn t louder than my current cpu cooler so i don t care about the noise

2. geforce fx beats the readon in nearly all tests
and that although the readon is out for several months and has optimized drives
nvidias drivers have never been optimized at the release of the cards so there s still a lot of potential

3. the gffx5800 isn t the flagship of nvidia there are still the nv34 and the nv40(150 million transistors)

4. look at the pixel shader benchmarks amazing how much it beats the readon and that with the 5800

i don t want to know how it looks like when they release the nv40

5. atis cards still have problems with some games, my friends bough raedons a few weeks ago and it didn t run on old games at all
amazing support really as if id buy a card that only runs on the latest engines

ill go with the nv40 card when they release it
money doesn t matter
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
Let''s not turn this into a flame.
It really doesn''t matter which you buy since in six months there will be another better card. Also don''t expect the features of either card being widely used until a year later, at which point there is a better card ... etc... in infinity.

5. atis cards still have problems with some games, my friends bough raedons a few weeks ago and it didn t run on old games at all
amazing support really as if id buy a card that only runs on the latest engines

My Radeon9500 barely runs any newer games at times. The drivers are WELL below par, the texture corruption is ugly, the stuttering is poor beyond belief.

If you buy nVidia, youre getting something you know will work. If you buy ATI, youre taking a BIG chance. Everyone I know that owns a Radeon, including myself, have a LOT of problems with them. From visual artifacts, polygons turning translucent in Halflife, complete system lockups, texture corruption, stuttering which can make games totally unplayable... Radeons just arent fun

-----------------------
"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else''s drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
hehe, to all nvidia supporters (not that i dont think the card is good.. its just not something special, or worthwile), please read anandtech and those carefully, read up the forums, etc. then you would know that the card only performs really bether in
a) syntetic benches
b) with cheated quality modes

and hey, nvidia talks themselfes about 2x the speed all half year. its half a year after the radeon9700pro. in most game benches we see.. at max 10% speed boost, and in (imho much too much tests) it is even slower.

drivers or not, that card should run much bether, compared to the overclocked fancy stuff they made over it.
remember its .13, not .15 => much much cooler. still, they need a freaking hairdryer to cool it down, and still then, its much too hot for a normal case to run long time.

the ati chip can get passive cooled.

just think of the ati chip with the same .13 technology, with the same hairdryer, overclocked the same way. then you would get speed.

and the radeon line up will be there at march, providing about 40% + performance enhancement.

simply do the math, dudes, and you have to realize this card is not at all the holy grail.

choosing between this card, and a about 10% slower card, wich costs much less, does not make any noise, and does not heaten up my case, _and_ uses much less power, is not really a question to think about.. really not.

but instead of flamewaring in here, please just read. its all discussed yet enough.
the card is hot air, over 60°C of it at the backside. end of story.

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

quote:Original post by Maximus
If you buy nVidia, youre getting something you know will work. If you buy ATI, youre taking a BIG chance. Everyone I know that owns a Radeon, including myself, have a LOT of problems with them. From visual artifacts, polygons turning translucent in Halflife, complete system lockups, texture corruption, stuttering which can make games totally unplayable... Radeons just arent fun

I'd dissagree strongly to that.
I moved from a geforce 1 to a radeon 9000 pro and overall I've been very impressed by the card.

put it this way,
it took me 3 months to get my geforce stably under windows xp when it came out. Nvidia didn't do squat for me, or for 1000s of people who suffered similar problems.

I honestly took insane amounts of effort getting the card stable.
I remember times where I'd need to download a good 3-5 driver packs to get something that actually worked.
So don't say that nvidias are always stable as rocks.

"From visual artifacts"
thats pretty general

"polygons turning translucent in Halflife"
never even heard of this, or seen it. On mines or other people radeons.

"complete system lockups"
I've had a couple on this chip but no where near the number on the geforce.

"texture corruption"
it's true that I've noticed issues radeons have with corrupting DXTC textures when the memory is clocked too high or isn't being cooled adequatly, but once again is nothing compared to the corrupting I've seen occur on the geforce..

"stuttering which can make games totally unplayable"
I've seen this more on geforce 2mx's myself. It does seem to effect radeons running windowed direct3d apps too. I've also read that when the performance counter is queried and there is a lot of data being transfered over the pci system bus, a significant stall can occur, wildly effecting the accuracy of the counter (or somethign like that) making it appear that the game stalled badly... (seen this type of symptm more on athlons myself).

and don't get me started on nvidias attitude to ramdacs...

[edited by - RipTorn on January 28, 2003 8:48:59 AM]
I currently have a GeForce4, and I will NOT get the FX.

I am so far happy with the GF4, with the exception of the 120 degrees on the backside of it.

Is it worth to check out the ATI? Or should I wait a tad until I find the next step in Grafx cards?
TechleadEnilno, the Ultima 2 projectwww.dr-code.org/enilno

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement