Turnbased vs. Realtime - Please vote

Started by
15 comments, last by Voodoo4 23 years, 11 months ago
I would lean toward the turn base side. it makes you think and make a strategy (or so i think it should) so that you have to outthink the opponent.

"a dog may be a man's best friend, but a computer is the next best thing"
Advertisement
So,until now turnbased totaly defeats realtime in single player(which most interests me).That''s good cause i thought realtime was more popular in the game community.Anyway i vote for realtime.Mostly because i consider the games made this way: Warcraft,Starcraft,Diablo,7 Kingdoms,baldur''s gate and more.I also believe that there''s more realism cause, for example,battling in turns is more like playing chess.In reallife you don''t wait for the other to attack first.You attack whenever you wish.
Anyway i respect your answers(Besides you win... )
Thanks
Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...
I think the best game in the world is chess, and thats turn based.

On the other hand, Chess has never caused me to lose sleep and miss social functions to play, like a few RTS games (sc, war2).

I guess it depends on your game

ratman
well actually all games using the infinity engine can be played as either turnbased (check all the autopause options) or real time, the thing is, internally they are all calculated in a turn based fasion.....

the best turn based game that still has real time in it is Jagged Alliance 2, and I suggest everyone at least downloads the demo the game only goes turn based during battles

www.sir-tech.com has JA2, and buying it would probably cheap as hell allso
"Avoid needless embarrassment. Practice the correct pronunciation of your deity''s name in the privacy of your own room before chanting it in public. Flash cards are often helpful." --The Evil Cultist''s Hand Guide
I personally prefer the turn-based type of game with real-time elements, ala FFVII. You know what I mean, you have to wait for your action bar to fill up first, then you have, maybe 20 sec. before the opponent decides to attack.

"Just remember, it''s not the fall that kills you, it''s the sudden stop."
"Just remember, it''s not the fall that kills you, it''s the sudden stop."
I have to agree with the general feeling here - turn-based for single-player, real-time for multiplayer.

Turn-based play allows all those people who are smart strategists to have their chance for glory, without going down to the "twitchers". Heroes of Might and Magic (1,2 and 3) are excellent games, but multiplayer takes a day to get through a small game - which is a shame.

One exception here - multiplayer games like Stars! - PBEM. These mean that you don''t have to stay online for the whole time of the game. I don''t think that this is a PBEM discussion though .

Enough Rambling,
WhiteWolf
I agree - turn based for single player, real time for multiplayer (Combat that is, everything else, real-time, or maybe a combination, like w. autopauses)

But if you use a turn-based mode make sure you put in enough options, so you can really make use of it. A lot of rpgs have very limited combat options that do not really make a turn-based mode necessary. If you can only attack and move real time will do just as well.

Maybe it would look good to play the battle out turn-based but show a real-time sum up at the end.

Anyways... Live long and slay goblins

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement