const class members?

Started by
6 comments, last by xropi 21 years, 2 months ago
I wanna make a class dealing with fixed point numbers. I also wanna handle the precision through the "fixp" template parameter but I cannot declare my consts derived from "fixp", and I receive the following error message: error C2258: illegal pure syntax, must be ''= 0''

template<int fixp>
class TFixPoint {
private:
	const int fixp_one = 1 << fixp;
	const int fixp_half = 1 << (fixp - 1);

int fix_value;
};

Does it mean that I have to define const inline "fixp_one" and "fixp_half" member functions or I have to #define them? Not nice at all! It must be a way to make a const local to a class but I don''t know how to do it.
I'm interested in full featured 3D system development.
Advertisement
Don''t initialise in the class definition, do it in the constructor in the initialiser section:

class WithAConst
{
public:
WithAConst();
private:
const int a;
};

WithAConst::WithAConst()
: a(0)
{
}

You can initialise the constant to different values with different constructors, if you like.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
First off then you are speaking about member variables, not member functions. Second, you can''t initialise member variables like that - what you want is something like this:

template<int fixp>class FixPoint {  static const int fixp_one = 1 << fixp;  static const int fixp_half = 1 << (fixp-1);  int fix_value;};  

Making the variables static means they are the same for all versions of FixPoint<37>, for instance. But do note that far from all compilers want to accept above. Hence, you may use the enum workaround for that, which would be something like...

template<int fixp>class FixPoint {  enum { fixp_one = 1 << fixp, fixp_half = 1 << (fixp-1) };  int fix_value;};  

Both of the above are used in the same way. I.e.
Fixpoint<17>::fixp; 
but I''ll let you experiment with that on your own. Hope it helps.

--
I am not a church numeral, I''''m a free variable!
--I am not a church numeral, I'm a free variable!
You can, but not with VC++ 6.0. So I guess you don''t use VC.NET.
While we are talking about statics: static const variables must be initialized outside of the class definition. Just put a

static const int FixPoint::fixp_one = 1 << fixp;

in your implementation.
Thanx, it really helped to me!

[edited by - xropi on January 28, 2003 8:59:42 AM]
I'm interested in full featured 3D system development.
quote:Original post by Shadowdancer
While we are talking about statics: static const variables must be initialized outside of the class definition. Just put a

static const int FixPoint::fixp_one = 1 << fixp;

in your implementation.

No they must not. Defining them as I did above is completely valid according to ISO/IEC 14882(1998) and works just fine in any decent compiler.

--
I am not a church numeral, I''m a free variable!

[edited by - muer on January 28, 2003 8:58:59 AM]
--I am not a church numeral, I'm a free variable!
MSVC6 doesn't like static members initialised like someone mentioned (it is in the ISO standard though so slaps MS's wrist).

Using the initialiser list for a statically allocated (or global) object IS the same as using a real const. The items in the initialiser list are pre-initialised at compilation time and stuffed into the programs data section. That's why you should always use initialiser lists if possible. It has to initialise a dynamic object at run-time, but that's true for all dynamic consts.

[edited by - Paradigm Shifter on January 28, 2003 9:04:39 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement