A lot of headers....

Started by
11 comments, last by firlefanz 21 years, 2 months ago
Okay, what is now the best to write a 2D game with some 3D effects perhaps: DelphiX / WDelphiX Omega headers Gamevision 1 or 2 Powerdraw 2.4 or 3 or perhaps something else? has anybody tried out for a 2D game? should have something like a spriteengine, a timer and an input component and a sound component. what do you think about it? cu firlefanz
Visit my homepage www.ericbehme.deDon't miss the download section ;)
Advertisement
I''ve made a game with Powerdraw 2.2 last summer and I really like that component. It''s easy to use and much more powerful than DelphiX. And it''s got the best timer I know. version 3 will kick ass!

i don''t know gamevision and omega, but powerdraw runs very stable and seems to be bugfree.
sound is not supported in powerdraw but you could easily implement FMOD or BASS or something like these.

my game can be found under www.lander-reloaded.tk
it doesn''t use all of powerdraw''s features but gives kind of impressions what can be done.
In developing GameVision, I had some specific goals in mind. As a small shareware game developer we often have to work faster, smarter and more efficiently. So, after giving it a lot of thought, I came to the following conclusions for my company:

1. I needed to reach to widest possible audience with modest system specs. DirectX will most likely be on those machines with half-way decent drivers.
2. I needed to concentrate on doing 3-4 smaller games per year that I can actually finish them in a reasonable amount of time and continually generate revenue.
3. For JDS, we would concentrate first on smaller arcade retro style games as it being my favorite genre.
4. The game engine needed to be easy to use, yet robust and feature rich and because it would be at least a year before we did a major overhaul, it needed to be highly extendable. For example, GVRezFile works with standard zip files, when GV is done, if you want to use some other format, just extent GVRezFile and override the virtual methods and implement your own resource file format. OOP makes it possible.
5. I needed a development environment that allowed me to do all the coding in that one environment. Delphi fits the bill (I have been using Borland products since 1986, Turbo Pascal 3). I can make the game, tools, web and database stuff all in Delphi.
6. I needed the engine to be, not just a thin wrapper over DirectX and not so high level where everything was hidden, but rather at a middle level. Here, the mundane tasks such as DirectX housekeeping for example is taken care of (but accessible if you need it) and you have a well defined foundation to work from.
7. I needed a foundation for all the major components for making any game (Graphics, Audio, Input, App, Resources, Actor) that also allowed me to extend when I needed to. So, GameVision is more of a game application framework where the foundation is there and is well defined and you can use as is or extend to whatever you need it to be without a major overhauled. Another example would be the plug-in system. It allows the you to create add-on paks and the end-user to make modifications for your games.

So, after much trial and error and many GameVision.old1, GameVision.old2, GameVision.old3 folders...hehe... its finally starting to come together to met the goals for my company.

Best Regards

Jarrod Davis
Jarrod Davis Software

[edited by - Jarrod Davis on January 28, 2003 7:17:07 PM]

[edited by - Jarrod Davis on January 28, 2003 7:41:33 PM]
Best RegardsJarrod DavisJarrod Davis Software
We're using our own component set (PowerDraw 3.0 - it'll be released soon btw!) for our game I didn't want to talk much about it since it'll be surprise when it comes out, but I've put some small screenshots. There're currently two builds of our game project - 2D RPRTS (role-playing real-time strategy) called Abyss of Infinity powered by Object Engine (which I'll also release to public) and my partner Hab works on isometric RTS powered by the same graphics / object engine.

Here:

[edited by - Lifepower on January 29, 2003 2:48:30 PM]
Those screenshots look sweet, LifePower.
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
yeah, they''re pretty cool, hope they''re real (i think so, anyways)

Pull my finger...
-----------------------------------------------------------Web Comic
yeah, they''re pretty cool, hope they''re real (i think so, anyways)
-----------------------------------------------------------Web Comic
They really look great. I know Powerdraw 1.4 and used it together with DelphiX.

Will Powerdraw 3.0 have it''s own input, timer and sound component and a spriteengine with collision testing (2D)?

CU

Firlefanz
PowerDraw 2.x had its own input and timer. PowerDraw 3.0 also *has* particle engine and object engine with per-pixel collision detection. Yet, the full version is still under development... sorry, I might be fast with graphics, but too slow writing documentation

Edit: after some attempts, due to complexity of .IT & .XM music formats I don't think I won't be able to make sound component comparable to FMOD or BASS, so I won't be including sound support for PowerDraw.

[edited by - Lifepower on January 30, 2003 8:20:20 PM]
The main problem with another sound component is that:

if i prog a shareware game, i think that fmod is NOT free (don''t know about bass). if i write a game, it''s one till two years in the making, and it won''t be freeware, but shareware. i may only sell 10 pieces, but i know then someone bought my game!!!
and i''ll make freeware of it a year later...

the problem is that, i won''t do anythink with a component that costs money, can you perhaps suggest a sound component that doesn''t cost anythink?

firlefanz

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement