Framerates with nvidia driver from version 4x

Started by
7 comments, last by Long 21 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I know, I should better ask nvidia, but my developer registration is not yet processed. Maybe someone here can help me meanwhile. With my own DirectX 3D-Engine I am encountering a strange problem in !!windowed!! and not v-synced mode: With nvidia drivers before 4x the engine did as many frames as it could, so I had rates of far more than 1000 fps with an empty scene for example. That behaviour was very comfortable to compare performance of different rendering methods while working on the engine. But now it looks like there is some sort of "perfomance control" or somehing implemented. With an empty scene I have a rate around 300fps but that doesnt change very much if I load scenes. Sometimes the framerate even gets a little bit higher with a scene loaded. This effect is caused by the new driver. It''s the same with DirectX8 or DirectX9 used by the engine. It''s only in windowed mode, not in fullscreen mode with v-sync disabled. Does anybody know anything about it or - even better - how to disable it? Thank you, Ole
Advertisement
Nobody?
I have noticed the exact same thing with my engine. I also found that if I run another game like DungeonSiege or some other new directx based game and then run my game the frame rate will be mush higher, closer to what it is with the older drivers. This makes me think that there must be some way to fix it but I haven''t figured it out yet.
quote:Original post by Long
This effect is caused by the new driver. It''s the same with DirectX8 or
DirectX9 used by the engine. It''s only in windowed mode, not in fullscreen
mode with v-sync disabled.

It may be that the new drivers are playing nicer with Windows when in windowed mode.

Well, at least I am not the only one.

I don''t want to be "nice" to windows, I want my max framerate! Just hate it if software gets too smart. Things like that happen too often these days.

I have a similar problem, when I run my D3D stuff in windowed frame rates are
higher than in fullscreen mode. However framerates in fullscreen mode are much more
stable, I mean:

[Windowed Mode]
0 Objects = 1000 FPS
1 Object = 800 FPS
2 Objects = 700 FPS

[Fullscreen Mode]
0 Objects = 200 FPS
1 Object = 197 FPS
2 Objects = 195 FPS

KaMiKaZe
quote:I don''t want to be "nice" to windows, I want my max framerate! Just hate it if software gets too smart. Things like that happen too often these days.

maybe it''s happening more often because it makes sense and/or it''s good practice.

In truth there''s little use in having more than the refresh rate of the monitor - 75hz should be sufficient for all purposes. I dont believe for a second you can tell the difference between 100hz and 500hz.

It would be best to clamp it to the v-sync and spend the extra time on better visuals, if you''re interested - look into fullscreen motion blur, this can replicate similar effects seen on TV - hence you could get away with much lower frame rates

Jack

DirectX 4 VB: All you need for multimedia programming in Visual Basic
Formula 1 Championship Manager, My Game Project.

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Thank you, jollyjeffers.
Of course there is no sense in having framerates higher than your monitor''s one. Only if you are an engine developer and use that for a quick evaluation of the performance of your engine - what I am, and you would have known if you would have read the beginning of this thread.

If you care so much about the difference between 300 and 1000 fps, then you could always use the old drivers while "evaluating" it''s performance.

sounds to me like you''re waisting your time trying to fix your engine to work with an obvious driver "problem". not that 300 ftp is anything to worry about.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement