• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goodlife

Looking for a real answer

This topic is 6921 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all-- I''m looking for a real, unbiased answer to this. I don''t want to hear about anyone''s personal preference, or any mumbo jumbo-- I want to know about speed. Not functionality. Not ease-of-use. Just speed. Some months ago, I wrote a D3D library for myself, using execute buffers. From what I''ve read since, I''ve just duplicated what they did in Directx7, with all those helper functions or macros or whatever, like DrawPrimitive. However, mine are superoptimized for what I need, which is NOT a first person shooter, or real-time strategy game. So my question is... should I just stay with this? I get 20 FPS with about 100,000 polygons on-screen, and that''s all I really need. It all works fine and as-planned, and yet I keep hearing all this talk about these new DRAWPRIMITIVE functions. Because of my own experience, I believe that the drawprimitives do just do what I do-- put things into an execute buffer for you, since everyone seemed to have so much trouble with execute buffers (they''re right up my alley, though-- love ''em!). Or the equivalent. So, just looking for factual stuff. Please don''t write with ''oh, DrawPrimtives are so easy to use'' or ''Oh, they do so much of the work for you'' because, like I said, I superoptimized my routines for execute buffers. When I tried, quickly to move them to drawprimitives, I dropped to 10-11 FPS-- and I don''t want to play the superoptimize game again. My worry is that newer cards might be superoptimized themselves-- for draw primitives. So can anyone give me an informed opinion? Should I go over to (yuck) the drawprimtives, or stick with what I have? -- Goodlife ----------------------------- Think of your mind as a door on a house. Leave the door always closed, and it's not a house, it's a prison. Leave the door always open, and it's not a house, it's a wilderness-- all the vermin creep in.

Advertisement
According to Microsoft, the Drawprimitive HAS NO CONNECTION with execute buffers. It is not a wrapper funtion, nor does it implement them anywhere in its rendering. Supposedly, some misinformed driver developers implemented DrawPrimitve Calls via old execute buffer code, but I cant verify the validity of such statements. Microosft recommends not using execute buffers, as they are the outdated way of doing things. Oh yea, almost forgot - DrawPrimitive has been around since DX5, so it really isnt "new"

Edited by - Etnu on May 11, 2000 11:56:24 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!