C++ book

Started by
7 comments, last by Keirtain 21 years, 2 months ago
I''ve been programming in C++ for some time now, and I am looking to expand from DOS programs into Windows. I am looking to purchase "Tricks of The Windows Game Programming Gurus", but after reading the back cover, i noticed that the book focuses mainly on C, though some of it is in C++ - or at least that''s how I understood it. I was just wondering if this would still be a good book to buy, even though it isn''t entirely in the same language that I''m using. ...And then God created logic errors...
Advertisement
I would buy it, and I did.

If nothing else, it gives you a great basic knowldge of WIN32 and DirectX.

Also, a lot of WIN32 code is in C anyways, with C++(OO) given to a lot of the COM and COM+.

Anyhow, I would get it, considering it is now cheap(for earlier printings), and it will help out!

Later,
Jim
I was having the same problem as you but then I got a really good price on it used so I went ahead and bought it. I haven''t put it down since, this book is excellent for teaching win32 and DirectX even if you consider yourself a c++ programmer (as myself).
Hey Keirtain,

I was in EXACTLY the same position as you not long ago.
I had learned c++ for a while and was looking for my first game programming book.

I had the same worries as you about ''Tricks..'',
but I bought it anyway and it doesn''t matter at all about it being in c. There''s hardly anything you wont know (if your decent at c++) thats written in c.

Just buy it now! Its my favourite book in the world! It has taught me an infinte amount of things (and before it, i had never learned c at all- just c++).

So go buy it! Trust me

chacha
It is not so important that " Tricks ...." is focused on c rather than c++.
The point is that this book is focused on direct x 6.0 ( at least the first edition that I own ) instead of direct x 8.0 or even 9.0
Do not buy any programming books based on an old direct x version
It is a mess.
The only reason nowadays for buying " Tricks... " is , in my opinion, the chapters which deal with hard core programming, AI, data structures, phisics etc, very well done, indeed
quote:Original post by AlbertoT
It is not so important that " Tricks ...." is focused on c rather than c++.
The point is that this book is focused on direct x 6.0 ( at least the first edition that I own ) instead of direct x 8.0 or even 9.0
Do not buy any programming books based on an old direct x version
It is a mess.
The only reason nowadays for buying " Tricks... " is , in my opinion, the chapters which deal with hard core programming, AI, data structures, phisics etc, very well done, indeed

The new edition of tricks focus''s on DX 8.0
I bought the book a few months ago and the main gripe I have about it is that it advertised DX8 and uses DX7 and earlier. Like a lot of other books, that quote a DirectX version and use an earlier one. However, it is a good book, one every game programmer should try. Well, almost every.

Larry.

[edited by - LarryP on January 29, 2003 2:33:09 PM]
Elvis said: You can't rent a Priscilla, but you can lease-a-Marie!
thank you for the help!

as for the book using an older version of DirectX:

I didn''t catch exactly which version the book uses, but I do know that this is a second edition printing, so it may be using a newer version than 6 now. However, I will check that, so thank you.

...And then God created logic errors...
They are all "Second Edition" as this is Andre's 2nd book on this subject. There may be two printings, I don't know. I have the First Printing: June 2002, and on page 214 in the 2nd paragraph he states:

"And in our case, version 7.0 and some of 8.0 is more than enough."

He uses DirectDraw extensively.

Larry.

/* Nobody can MAKE you do anything, so don't blame anyone but yourself! */

[edited by - LarryP on January 29, 2003 7:12:36 PM]
Elvis said: You can't rent a Priscilla, but you can lease-a-Marie!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement