Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mephs

learning MFC for game tools

Mephs    354
Hey all, I''m just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions of sources to MFC programming relative to games. I''ve looked around on the net but it is disheartening to have to stop working on game programming if I wish to learn and use MFC in my game tools, so I often put off doing it, though I know for certain tools a more in depth knowledge of MFC and perhaps also win32 would be greatly beneficial. So, does anyone know any good sources (books, websites etc) to learn the basics of integrating DirectX and MFC with particular relevance to games as opposed to standard application programming? I guess what I''m trying to say is that the tutorials I have already found, while I appreciate that they are necessary to learn the given API, they often feature a vast amount of completely irrelevant content that I would never need to use in tool creation, and without the expertise of programming in these API''s it is hard to pick out the content that is relevant and skip that which is not, and I prefer not to waste time on learning irrelevant things. Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers, Steve aka Mephs

MOVSW    132
I have to suggest these books since this is all you need for general purpose.

"Programming Windows with MFC", Jeff Prosise , Microsoft Press
ISBN: 1572316950
And for Win32:

"Programming Windows 5th edition", Charlez Petzold, MS Press

LarryP    122
"Programming Windows 5th edition", Charles Petzold, MS Press

I have the above book and it is an excellent source of information for Windows programming.

The MFC book I really liked (hardback too) is "Professional MFC with Visual C++ 5" by Mike Blaszczak, ISBN: 1-861000-14-6

Yes his last name is spelled correctly. ;-) It is 1062 pages long and is a sturdy book. I wish ALL tech books were made like this one is, inside and out. Excellent book if you must use MFC.

Larry.

[edited by - LarryP on January 29, 2003 2:28:59 PM]

[edited by - LarryP on January 29, 2003 2:45:45 PM]

Mafian    128
A great beginner''s book is Sams Learn Visual C++ in 21 days. It covers all the basics and is an easy transition. I can easily whip up a tool application whenever I need to now, and I hardly devoted 2 or 3 weeks to learning MFC.

Basiror    241
ok i have the book of jeff prosise but i suggest you look at the articles section theres a MFC tutorial on creation of editing tools

do this tutorial and play around with the controls and so on
you ll learn much more from this tutorial than from the book

actually these books are quite useless because MFC is so easy that you don t need them or you run into problems which aren t even mentioned in the book so you have to search the internet

i can tell this from my own experience