[java] to IDE or not to IDE

Started by
8 comments, last by Themonkster 21 years, 2 months ago
Hey people, just wondering what you people use for a ide. I have been using One Studio from Sun. but I am still new to java and I am finding it has to many bits and bobs. anyone suggest any other ones to try. off the free price range I used notepad but thats a bit to hardcore for my likig I would like something with colour coded text and a good debugger.
Advertisement
Take a look at Eclipse @ www.eclipse.org

"I know very well who Satan is: He is freedom. He is the uncontrolled, the incalculable, the antithesis of order and discipline, the antithesis of the legalism of outer space.... We know where a planet will be in twelve years, four months and nine days. But we don''t know where a butterfly will have flown one minute hence. Therefore the butterfly is of Satan."
-- Jens Bjørneboe
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Textpad
JBuilder

Textpad has colour coded text and comes with the Java tools set up(if you already have the SDK installed). It does not have a debugger or a visual editor.

JBuilder personal edition is free. It has visual tools for building your interfaces, but I am don''t think the eprsonal edition has a debugger. (Note this is a pig, only get it if you have a ~1GHz machine or higher)

First make it work,
then make it fast.

--Brian Kernighan

"I’m happy to share what I can, because I’m in it for the love of programming. The Ferraris are just gravy, honest!" --John Carmack: Forward to Graphics Programming Black Book
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
quote:Original post by CaptainJester
JBuilder personal edition is free. It has visual tools for building your interfaces, but I am don''t think the eprsonal edition has a debugger.

It does have a debugger.

"I know very well who Satan is: He is freedom. He is the uncontrolled, the incalculable, the antithesis of order and discipline, the antithesis of the legalism of outer space.... We know where a planet will be in twelve years, four months and nine days. But we don''t know where a butterfly will have flown one minute hence. Therefore the butterfly is of Satan."
-- Jens Bjørneboe
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
JCreator : www.jcreator.com

It''s simple and good
I use Netbeans. With the current 3.4.1 release, the speed is actually bearable. It also comes with a lot of cool features that you might want to check out.

==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
I use jEdit. It's a part of the Jakarta project, and so there are lots of developers churning out new releases and useful plugins all the time. It is also highly confiurable. Speed is good too.

I forgot to mention ... it is not really an IDE, only a program editor. Particularly, there is no GUI builder. But, it has plugins for running Ant, jUnit etc from within the editor.

There are also plugins for CVS/MSVSS clients, FTP clients, hex editors, visual diff, code refactoring, java class decompilers etc.

[edited by - for joy on January 29, 2003 8:42:40 AM]
I use NetBeans too.

It has a nice CVS client, cool popup javadoc (can mount archives, HTTP, or unpacked directories easily), just to name a few good things.

[edited by - Petr Stedry on January 29, 2003 10:59:28 AM]
Petr Stedry
I''ve used the free version of JCreator for quite a while now, I like it a lot, I recommend you give it a try.
thanks guys I shall check them out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement