splitting numbers

Started by
3 comments, last by pandabear114 21 years, 2 months ago
what would be the easiest way to split a number from a simgle input like "1234" into two separate numbers, "12" and "34"? i am confused :> thanks
Advertisement
The easiest way is to first have it as a string (either a char[] or std::string), then simply:

std::string input
std::cin >> input;

std::string part1(input, 0, 2);
std::string part2(input, 2, 2);

If you provide more context and details of what you''re trying to do, a more appropriate example can be made.

Well with chars you can do arrays but... for ints i have absolutly no idea. Why do you need this, is there a specific reason. Becasue if there isnt then you are wasting a lot of your time

Homepage
Luck is a Horse to ride like any other...Luckily im not a gambler, I dont know how to ride.
BoC HomepageLuck is a Horse to ride like any other...Luckily im not a gambler, I dont know how to ride.
Off the top of my head:

void splitNumber( int iInput, int* iLeftHalf, int* iRightHalf ){   int digits = ( (int)( log( (double)iInput ) / log( 10.0 ) ) ) + 1;   *iLeftHalf = iInput / (int)pow( 10.0, (double)(digits / 2) );   *iRightHalf = iInput % (int)pow( 10.0, (double)(digits / 2) );}    

Something like that. Odd LENGTH numbers will be heavier on the left side...dunno what you need.

-scott

[edit: forgot the world "length"]

[edited by - scaught on January 28, 2003 9:01:41 PM]
hrmm
perhaps i should have mentioned that it is always 4 digits long

i just figured it out though
i can just divide by 100 then truncate since it is int status
and go from there:

int main()
{
int hey;
int left;