Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MillaTime

RPG damage formula recommendations

It''s DragonBall Z for the TI-83+, but anybody could help. I''ve got one, but I think it could be perfected. I have a list for my characters stats, and one for the enemys. At the start, Trunks list is: 1: Level 1 2: Current Health 20 3: Total Health 20 4: Current Ki 12 5: Total Ki 12 6: Ki power 5 7: Strength 2 8: Defense 2 9: Speed 3 10: Experience 0 11: Exp. to next level 50 12: Money 0 And the enemy''s is: 1: Current Health 2: Total Health 3: Level 4: Ki Power 5: Strength 6: Defense 7: Speed (should I have the enemy have a current and total ki? or should he just be able to do whatever regardless?) Here''s my current formula. My Strength / Enemy Defense * ( 1.5 * My Level ) + My Level ^ 1.5 Then it takes that number and randomizes it like this: Min. parameter: Above number - My Level ^ .9 Max. parameter: Above number + My Strength / Enemy Defense ^1.1 Okay, if you''re still with me, I was wondering if you think I''m depending on level too much, and not strength to defense ratio? Somehow I''ve got a feeling that if i jack up his defense and my level, but keep his level and my strength low, I''ll still be delivering an ass-whoopin. Does anybody have spots they see can be improved? or perhaps have a formula to recommend that relies more on Strength and Defense?

Although this is sort of a math question, I feel the thread belongs in the Artificial Intelligence forum. Therefore, I am moving it, .

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.

It''s definitely NOT artificial intelligence! I''m therefore moving this to the Game Design forum.

Tennis anyone?

Timkin

Wow, moderater wars, I''ve never seen this ever. Maybe this thread will be perpetually moved forever .

I think enemies should have a current and total ki, that way you can tire an enemy out and force him to recharge. Strength (or total ki, if it''s a ki attack) and defense should be the deciding factors in combat. Level shouldn''t be a direct factor in anything, it simply measures the character''s level of acheivement. I''m assuming that the character''s strength, defense, total health, total ki, etc. can all potentially go up when the character gains a level.

Ok I just like to say this: Don''t ever ever use the link to make a 2-player game on the TI-83. NEVER!

I''ve spent about 12 hours on making a game but the getcalc command makes the other calculator ignore commands... strangeness ensues.

Personally I never use level to change the outcome of anything: it''s merely an indicator of how far you''ve developed. Other stats will increase when you level right? Let those stats define you and not your level, IMHO.

GAY! Why doesn''t the moved post stay in the old board, so that I can know where the hell it went! Game Design? why? Oh well, lol.

Ya, I tried a simple chat program with the getcalc command, it worked, but you could only send numbers, so I guess it didn''t work...

If anyone''s interested, if you give me your e-mail, I could send you the battle system so far, but there''s only one enemy...