My to-do list

Started by
7 comments, last by BradDaBug 21 years, 2 months ago
If I had the knowledge and/or time, these are the things I would make, in this order. 1. A calculator like the calculator that comes with Windows, not the one that comes with Gnome. 2. An ESD replacement without all the lag and junk. 3. A GOOD media player that'd make even this guy proud. 4. An easy to use Samba configurator that'd even setup remote printers for you! 5. Add a modifier stack (like what Photoshop has) to The GIMP. 6. An X replacement. 7. An awesome Linux distro that was even easier to use than Windows but just as powerful and awesome as *your favorite distro goes here* There. Those are some nice goals, right? EDIT: Oh yeah, add somewhere in there a button in The GIMP that'd bring all the windows to the top so you wouldn't have to click each window individually to bring it to the top. That's really annoying. [edited by - BradDaBug on January 28, 2003 11:41:21 PM]
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
I would love to make a graphical user interface (640x480x16) for Slackware instalation setup.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
quote:Original post by BradDaBug
1. A calculator like the calculator that comes with Windows, not the one that comes with Gnome.

Gnome needs a more featureful calculator, yes. Someone is writing one (I''ll give you a link later, if I find it). I personally like Euler (it''s not like the Windows calculator, it''s much more powerful). I also have a TI-86 in ''real life'' that works just fine.

2. An ESD replacement without all the lag and junk.

Take a look at today''s Gnome Weekly Summary, someone is writing one and it just had its first official release. It made me happy to see it too .

3. A GOOD media player that''d make even this guy proud.

That''s a moronic rant (something I don''t say often) coming from an intellegent person (which confuses people ). XINE (evil interface) or Totem (GTK+, libxine based) works just fine for virtually everything. GStreamer is the "up and coming" multimedia framework that should put an end to the multimedia fragmentation. MPlayer, if you''re not worried about it''s not-quite-legalness plays everything because it steals binaries from other programs and platforms (and it even has a couple GUI''s, one built in, one for Nautilus, et cetera).

4. An easy to use Samba configurator that''d even setup remote printers for you!

Samba does need a better configuration tool, but it''s being worked on (part of the Gnome System Tools suite), and is mostly usable already. It''s not Samba''s job to setup printers (IMO). So, it seems that you''d also like someone to write a non-browser based configuration tool for CUPS (which I hope someone is already doing).

5. Add a modifier stack (like what Photoshop has) to The GIMP.

Yes, that''d be very nice.

6. An X replacement.

That''s what people ask for when they don''t understand X. XFree86 isn''t the only implementation of X (and it''s not the best in a lot of ways). XFree86 4.3 will do most of the things people (rightfully) whine about, and the rumors about the goals of XFree86 5.x make it sound most impressive.

7. An awesome Linux distro that was even easier to use than Windows but just as powerful and awesome as *your favorite distro goes here*

Heh.

EDIT: Oh yeah, add somewhere in there a button in The GIMP that''d bring all the windows to the top so you wouldn''t have to click each window individually to bring it to the top. That''s really annoying.

Metacity will support a "by application" approach instead of the current "by window" approach in the future. Many window managers already support grouping of an application''s windows.

I like the idea of making a Linux distro If you need some people helping you with that I am here
RPG games rule the world
MPlayer simplay rocks. stealing binarys ? it borrows them maybe..or let´s say it uses some parts like certain quicktime and real codecs..but it´s simply the best media player i have ever seen !

a GUI for slackware install ? hmm.
what i´d really like to see is a tutorial on how to patch LILO so it looks that nice as it does with SUSE. it´s always nice to see windows users wondering why linux has an animated colored bootmanager,console with framebuffer,(KDE-)menus with alphablending..
quote:Original post by Null and Void
Samba does need a better configuration tool, but it''s being worked on (part of the Gnome System Tools suite), and is mostly usable already. It''s not Samba''s job to setup printers (IMO). So, it seems that you''d also like someone to write a non-browser based configuration tool for CUPS (which I hope someone is already doing).

I guess I meant something like in Windows when you click on a printer that someone has shared, it automatically sets up the printer for you, even grabbing the drivers from the computer the printer is hooked up to. I guess that part wouldn''t work, but it''d still be cool to click on a shared printer, and some wizard pops up and lets you setup the printer.

quote:
Metacity will support a "by application" approach instead of the current "by window" approach in the future. Many window managers already support grouping of an application''s windows.

I know Gnome and KDE have that application grouping thing, but i alwys disable it because it always groups stuff I don''t want grouped, like Mozilla windows. Windows has some API calls where the application has control over how its windows are put in the taskbar, right? Is there a mechanism like that in Linux window managers?

And all that other stuff (MAS especially!) sounds pretty cool. I''ve never tried MPlayer. I''ll have to check that out.
I like the DARK layout!
quote:
I know Gnome and KDE have that application grouping thing, but i alwys disable it because it always groups stuff I don't want grouped, like Mozilla windows.

If they ever finish the "by application" approach in Metacity, I think you might like it then. From what I've read (not enough, I admit, to be sure) it will group them by application process (so the GIMP would be a single item, but two Mozilla windows would be two seperate items). To clear up my last post: the "by application" approach will be an option (the option is already in the gconf database, but I don't know if it does anything yet), not the only way of using Metacity.

The GIMP 1.3 allows you to customize a lot of the interface, so you might be interested in giving it a try (1.3 is still in development, so it's not done, but most of it is very usable).

Windows has some API calls where the application has control over how its windows are put in the taskbar, right? Is there a mechanism like that in Linux window managers?

Probably, but I haven't ever played around with making a window manager, so I can't be sure.

And all that other stuff (MAS especially!) sounds pretty cool. I've never tried MPlayer. I'll have to check that out.

MPlayer isn't the friendliest program (nor are its developers too nice), just to warn you, but it is very effective. MAS I'm just all around excited about (latency was one of their biggest worries, so I have high expectations ).

BTW: I was mentioning XFree86 4.3, it's expected to be released "any day now."

[edited by - Null and Void on January 29, 2003 5:59:57 PM]
Why would you want a gui for slackware installation? It''s already easy to use (it walks you right thru everything). I really don''t see how, in this case, anyway, a gui would make things any easier.
Infact, maybe not all people do have good graphics or stuff so it may not be good to make a gui. Text is just goodie for all
RPG games rule the world

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement