Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

_Orko_

directx and laptops?

_Orko_    122
Ok, i just got my first ever laptop and i''d like to start doing some directx development on it. Now this is my first laptop, and im kind of a newb to this so bear with me I''m not too familiar with a few things. I got the ATI Mobility 9000 Radeon chip on my laptop which *fully* supports DirectX 8.1. Now, for laptops, you dont download graphics driver updates from ati or nvidia. You grab them from whoever you got your laptop from and from what I hear you shouldn''t really mess around with them. So now I''m wondering, can I download directx 9.0 for my laptop (even though i really won''t be able to put it to full use, since the chip isn''t dx9 compatible) and install it fine to replace 8.1? Also, for development can I download the DX9 SDK instead of the 8.1 SDK to do development without have any worries of totally screwing up my laptop system? anyway, any kind of input would be much appreciated. Even flame me for my newbness for all I care. At least that flame might answer my questions in an indirect sort of way. haha Cheerios! Orko

niyaw    158
laptop is also a pc. you can install dx and dxsdk, even if your chip doesn''t natively support the latest versions. my laptop is happily running dx9 and dx9sdk on a radeon 7k chip.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Yes, dx9 and dx9sdk have NOTHING to do with your drivers.. your drivers may be specific to your laptop, but direct x isn''t specific to any configuration, as long as you have the proper graphics drivers installed, it doesn''t matter what machine it''s running on.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
In fact - the whole ethos of DirectX is that it is device independent ...