Very strange VC++ problem.

Started by
16 comments, last by GekkoCube 21 years, 2 months ago
quote:Original post by GekkoCube
When you had this "problem" did your file(s) delete automatically from the directory???

Yes. But when I tried saving a few seconds later, they mysteriously reappeared.
"-1 x -1 = +1 is stupid and evil."-- Gene Ray
Advertisement
Had the same problem for a long time now... every other time I press the save button, I get the same message, but if I press save again a second later, everything is saved and works just fine, but it is really annoying. I''ll try disabling auto-protect...

// Website // Google // GameDev // NeHe // MSDN //
~neoztar "Any lock can be picked with a big enough hammer"my website | opengl extensions | try here firstguru of the week | msdn library | c++ faq lite
OK, i''ll do what everybody suggests.
I already made that backup directory with all my files, just in case i lose files again.
It just freaked me out the first time i lost my main.cpp.
I just don''t want that happening when my source code is huge...plus, I DO NOT want to make a backup copy everytime!
I will definitely reinstall visual studio and see if that helps too.
quote:Original post by neoztar
Had the same problem for a long time now... every other time I press the save button, I get the same message, but if I press save again a second later, everything is saved and works just fine, but it is really annoying. I''ll try disabling auto-protect...

Me too

pan narrans | My Website | Study + Hard Work + Loud Profanity = Good Code
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone
Just write a batch file to copy your main C++ files from one folder to another. That is, start a text file and put in lines similar to:

copy [SOURCE FILE PATH] [DESTINATION FOLDER PATH]

Where your pathfor the file will be something like:

C:\Projects\GameEngine\main.cpp

And for the folder will be like:

C:\Backup

Note: If your folders have spaces in the name then you need to encapsulate the path in quote "" marks. Put in a line for each of the main files (or ... in fact just copy folder to folder). Save the text file with the extension .bat

That way to do a complete backup you only need to double-click on the batch file.
I have that problem all the time, so I just use "Save All" button.
Although this problem also arises when I open same file twice in Visual Studio, so try to keep the number of opened files at minimum.

" Do we need us? "

Ionware Productions - Games and Game Tools Development

ERROR MESSAGE: "Cannot Save File" in Visual C++ IDE

From my personal experience, guess you all are using XP (2000 do happen too, but not as frequent as in XP). In Win98SE and WinNT4), the save button works flawlessly (err... I mean no such encounter thus far ). This happen on MSVC6. I'm not sure about MSVC5.

Just click the save button few times until you really save it.

[edited by - DerekSaw on January 29, 2003 8:38:10 PM]

[edited by - DerekSaw on January 29, 2003 8:40:56 PM]
"after many years of singularity, i'm still searching on the event horizon"
Thanks for all the help.
If I click the save button every other time, it works fine.
Previous times i stopped after encountering the first error message - at which point i noticed the file to be missing.
But apparantly saving again will reveal the file to be there...weird.
But I will backup all files, just in case.

Weird how my previous projects that i had created under my old computer under win98se had no problems like this ever.
but my first project created under XP and....you know what!

Anyways, thanks again.
I no longer have to freak out when that happens.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement