Zooming in effects

Started by
12 comments, last by Helicon56 21 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I''ve seen it loads of times in games when a camera seems to zoom in to get a better look at something, normally with sniper rifles... so does anyone knoe how it''s done? --helicon56.
Advertisement
Just set the position of your camera closer to the target!
TechleadEnilno, the Ultima 2 projectwww.dr-code.org/enilno
lol, i''m pretty sure it''s not done like that. it''s like it is actually zooming in, in the way that a real camera does, by enlarging a certain part of it''s view. it''s difficult to explain, but you probably know what i mean.
Yes I am sure what you mean, and that is how its done.

To "zoom" you move the position of the camera along the look vector.
the way zooming is done in real life & in games is set the horizontal field of view smaller. As this make all objects take a larger amount of the fov & hence make objects seem larger

hope this helped
Iain
who is it that keeps on nicking WizHarD name !! :P
In 3d grafx, there is also the zoom that occurs while looking through the scope of a rifle, or makes objects larger.

The way I acclompish this is by moving the camera closer to the objects. I get 0 performance hit this way.

Techlead
www.myran.com/enilno
you change the field of view (frustrum) to create the zoom effect. The difference between moving the camera and changing fov is that the perspective is nearing orthogonal view (loosing perspective) So you don''t move the camera.

That sounds good! Is that faster(or just as fast) as actually moving the camera?

Techlead
www.myran.com/enilno
Not that much more expensive I would think (I can''t be sure since in all honesty I haven''t measured it). The point is that it looks better though.

The proper way to do it is to lower the field of view of the camera, as someone above suggested.

-- John

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement