Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Structural

Ideal quadtree size?

Just a quick question: what is according to you an ideal amount of polygons in a section of a quad tree? Currently I have divided my tree in pieces of 32*32 heightpoints, which results in about 2100 triangles per section (drawn with a triangle strip). I feel that this is WAY too much, but what are your opinions about this?

This link has excellent info about performance.

http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cacheLaBwIREiPQC:developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/2641/ATT/gdc2002_d3d_performance.pdf+DrawPrimitiveUP&hl=da&ie=UTF-8

There is a bullet that says: Always batch your polygons into groups 200+

A while ago when I made a terrain engine with a quadtree for culling, I actually broke it down to 32x32 patches (lowest level of the tree). I tested it a bunch and it seemed to work best at that level. That was on a map of 512x512 and 1024x1024. I suggest you test it yourself by changing the number of levels you let the quadtree generate.

--Buzzy

32x32 is pretty good. Smaller than that and your leaf count rises dramatically => the memory and performance overhead of managing them increases similarly. Much bigger than 32x32 and you''re potentially drawing lots of extra polygons you don''t need since a 128x128 leaf may only have a couple of polys in view.
On the rendering side, 2000polys is the optimal number I found for my engine though my engine is a bit unusual.

Read about my game, project #1
NEW (18th December)2 new screenshots, one from the engine and one from the level editor

John 3:16

Thanks for your answers.
I have a good working tree now and it creates a tree of 341 nodes and is 5 nodes deep.

I have another question about quadtrees though: How do I implement different LOD levels? I now have a vertex array that holds all vertices that can be drawn in one go. Do I have to add another set of arrays, but with a lower polycount? Or are there other recommendable methods?