[java] Professional Java programming question

Started by
6 comments, last by Hawtrey 21 years, 2 months ago
Is anyone here employed as a Java coder? What sort of work are you expected to do? Can you give any examples so that people can see the sort of standard that is expected in a paying job?
Advertisement
I am neither a professional Java coder, nor have I had any experience as one, thus I can''t give you any specific information. I can, however, point you in the right direction.

-try job search sites for Java jobs and look at job specifications
-look at the source code of well know java projects (for example, NetBeans) to get an idea of the standard of coding
-use the ever-helpful Google
I am. I''m doing Java-development for (web-)applications. We are maintaining our own "me-too"-middletier and are writing business-objects for it as well as other classes. Both are then used in either Swing-applications (not my part atm) or JSP-pages (my part).
Examples are difficult to give, as i can''t post the whole sources here...:-) The whole Java source-base of your company consists of around 2400 files (sounds more than it really is, because every middle-tier object requires 5 class-files for being Corba-compatible).
What''s expected? Well, we are all cooking with water...some sources are quite nicely done, others are a mess. Like your own sources...:-)
i too am a professional java coder. i work for www.ofoto.com on back end java beans & database layer stuffs. i can't give you any examples of my code b/c, well it's proprietary and all.

mostly you need to be good at web application writing / architecture. it's not particularly difficult. remarkably simple when compared to game development.

what you are expected to do is dependant on your level: entry -> senior. entry level you are expected to know a LOT about the language itself, be able to code any given sorting / searching / form parsing logic on the spot in an interview. you need to understand how the web works (stuff like what is a DNS server and what does it do, what is a connection port).

the easiest way to prepare for a job as a website java engineer is download a copy of jakarta tomcat (http://jakarta.apache.org) & the java SDK (http://java.sun.com). start making your own web applications and running your own web server. if you don't have an internet connxn, it doesn't matter. you can just run everything off of localhost.

-me

[edited by - Palidine on January 29, 2003 7:24:01 PM]
I''m working as a J2EE developer, and I spend my days beating my head against the wall because the enterprise bean container sux! I''d recommend training by getting yourself something soft to hit your head on for a while, and then slowly change surfaces until your head is tough enough to handle a wooden desk, or dry wall. If you knock yourself out on the first week of the job, you''ll be branded a rookie.

(Sometimes I keep a headband in my drawer for those really tough days).
He''s a bad motha - Shut yo mouth.
I am a a java programmer for a living. I''ve had to do a wide variety of java stuff, from JSPs and JavaBeans to Swing applications and AWT applets. A lot of what I''m doing is involved with databases, and so far I''ve worked with Oracle, MS SQL Server2000, and mySQL.

I think the important thing that has helped me as a java programmer is finding useful tools like Ant (http://ant.apache.org/), or IntelliJ IDEA (http://www.intellij.com/idea/), and Xerces (http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/index.html) that help make my life easier.

It''s a lot like Egon said, some of the stuff coded is pretty nasty, and other stuff is really nice and slick. The main thing isn''t how well the thing is programmed, though, it''s just that it does what it''s supposed to. It IS better to code it well first, though, as you will probably be called on again later to add or change a feature, and if it''s nasty code it''ll make your life more difficult.

-pirate_dau
I''m a professional senior Java contractor - I''ve been a contractor for about 6-7 years now, I forget how long exactly - and I''ve basically been involved in SQL work, serverside, and clientside Java to do just about everything imaginable. (Well, it''s in the CV).

Work is fairly thin on the ground at the moment; I''ve just spent about a year without pay which is a killer when you''ve got a massive mortgage.

The whole job is soul destroying, and I have to say I hate it. That''s why I''m starting my own indie game development business to start enjoying work, and life, again.

Cas
http://www.shavenpuppy.com/
Well,

I am a professional java developer too.

My duties are
Analysis
It''s not like there is no analysis done, but what I get usually looks like this: "If you fill in all the fields in this screen you must save them in the database and don''t forget to remember the values in case, the user returns back here."
So I have to design the classes that represent the data structures and methods, that contain the bussiness logic.
Coding
When all of the classes are designed I have to code it actually.
Code revisions
It is also my responsibility to make code revisions and perform functionality updates (the custome takes part in the creation of the application and the are FREQUENT updates of the functionality, so I better code some quite flexible source code)
Basic functional testing
As our team is VERY small I have to test my source code for functionality.

The skills I use:
JAVA
I routinely use collections, IO streams, JDBC, JAXP (parsing and contructing XML structures).
I also used my knowledge of RMI, threads, String operations (parsing strings, converting various objects to and from strings), reflection, sockets and the java.net package
SQL
I must be able to alter database data manually (via some simple non graphical database client) - that is creating, modyfing, dropping tables, inserting, updating deleting database records).
Last, but not least there is also some occasional PL/SQL programming needed (loops, cusor manipulation, even triggers).
HTML and J(ava)Script
As the output is transformed to HTML, some logic is even embeded in the pages and I must be able to verify (and correct), that even at this level, everything works as intended. The target environment is Windows with IE 5.0+.

hope this helps ... but bear in mind, that we are an a really small team (even if I am employed by a big softwarehouse). So this may happen to you.

P.S.: IMO the bigger the team, the more specialized (boring) work you get.

Petr Stedry
Petr Stedry

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement