Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The best IDE to start?

This topic is 5435 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My question: Is Microsoft C++ .NET Standard the right ide to start with Game Programming? Or do I need the Professional Edition? In addition I would be grateful for any hints concerning the right IDE to start. (I visited the Books & Software Section but I need more detailed information) THX [edited by - Apogee on January 29, 2003 2:48:38 PM]

quote:
Original post by Apogee
My question: Is Microsoft C++ .NET Standard the right ide to start with Game Programming? Or do I need the Professional Edition?

The Standard Edition doesn''t have an optimizing compiler. That may or may not be an issue.

"I know very well who Satan is: He is freedom. He is the uncontrolled, the incalculable, the antithesis of order and discipline, the antithesis of the legalism of outer space.... We know where a planet will be in twelve years, four months and nine days. But we don''t know where a butterfly will have flown one minute hence. Therefore the butterfly is of Satan."
-- Jens Bjørneboe

The optimizing compiler essentially does a better job turning your code into machine code. Without it, sometimes machine code gets lengthy and complicated, slowing down its performance. Unless you''re really programming professional style software, standard edition is probably more in your price/needs range.

Actually, there IS an alternative, but it''s not as complete as VC++: the Dev-cpp environment has an IDE available for it, and you can get DX9 libs as well.

As to whether or not an optimizing compiler makes or breaks your game, you''ll get more of a performance boost by writing optimized algorithms than an optimizer will typically produce (unless you write abysmal code, I suppose). If you''re just starting out, the last thing you''ll need to be worrying about is whether or not your compiler implements decent loop unrolling and peephole/global optimization techniques!

If you can find the "pro" edition cheap, on eBay or such, go ahead - but unless you plan to ship something in the next year or so, it''s probably a waste of your money which would be better spent on books.

Good luck, no matter which way you go!

quote:
Original post by WoolyLoach
but unless you plan to ship something in the next year or so, it''s probably a waste of your money which would be better spent on books.

Good luck, no matter which way you go!

thx WoolyLoach!