Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VB .NET - no static methods?

This topic is 5434 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Looks like VB .net doesn''t let you declare static methods as members of a class? Is there another way to do this other than putting the method in a module file? I thought vb .net was supposed to be fully OOP but if I can''t encapsulate everything into classes what does this mean? I must be missing something here. We are about to migrate our projects from Visual FoxPro into .NET and I am being forced to use VB .NET because the other developer doesn''t want to learn C#, which I already know. I hate office politics. Anyway, static methods in VB .NET?

I believe the keyword you are looking for is Shared.

"I know very well who Satan is: He is freedom. He is the uncontrolled, the incalculable, the antithesis of order and discipline, the antithesis of the legalism of outer space.... We know where a planet will be in twelve years, four months and nine days. But we don''t know where a butterfly will have flown one minute hence. Therefore the butterfly is of Satan."
-- Jens Bjørneboe