• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MButchers

Quad Surface Subdivision

This topic is 6915 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have recently started a surface 3d project using opengl with quadrilateral surfaces.and have done all the code for subdividing the surface to level(n),lighting,single hit raytracing etc. My problem is that I wish to curve the surface during the subdivision process based on the vertex normals. Please Help.

Advertisement
i''m not sure if i understand what you''re saying.. you want to smooth the surface you''re subdividing? like.. say.. a 6 polygon cube would turn into a n-polygon smooth cube or even a sphere?

--
Float like a butterfly, bite like a crocodile.

Guest Anonymous Poster
For someone that doesnt no what im saying you seem to hit the nail right on the head,if you use vertex normals the surface when lit appears to be curved due to the shading of the polygon.However it makes sense that if you are subdividing the polygon then you create a physically curved surface rather than an approximated curved surface using lighting.
I realise I could use a bezier patch or nurb to achieve a simualar effect however on the lowest level of subdivision a (single quad) this would require 16 transformations for each rotation,scale etc as opposed to 4.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!