SimCity 4 terrain

Started by
5 comments, last by sofsenint 21 years, 2 months ago
Does anyone know how they did the terrain in SimCity 4? I''m fairly certain the game was made in 2D, and yet the terrain has smooth slopes, believable coastlines, etc.
-----------------------------Weeks of programming can save you hours of planning.There are 10 kinds of people in this world-- those who understand binary and those who don't.
Advertisement
I''m positive the terrain are done in 3D (check out the terrain editor). No way is that 2D.
3d Terrain.

Simcity 4 has one of the most complicated rendering engines I''ve ever seen. They say that if everything was redrawn every frame, it would run at < 1 FPS on a Geforce 4, 2GHz machine.
meh, thats nothing. My engine runs shitty on any machine.
Just from looking at the game, and with my limited experience, I think they used a 3d landscape engine and used pre rendered tiles, for objects that are static like a house and power lines. If you notice if you zoom in and your computer is kinda slow the tiles are all blocks so the scene needs to be scaled. Would this effect happen if they where using 3d mods for everything?
Interested in being apart of a team of people that are developing a toolkit that can help anyone product an online game? Then click here http://tangle.thomson.id.au/
lol neurokaotix, im in the same boat.
I just did a little more research- the entire game was actually done in 3D. I thought it was 2D becuase of the way the shadows fell on some surfaces but not others, even though they should have. Must just have been not-perfect shadow-creation code. Oh well, great game anyway.
-----------------------------Weeks of programming can save you hours of planning.There are 10 kinds of people in this world-- those who understand binary and those who don't.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement