Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which do you prefer?

This topic is 5434 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

quote:
Original post by bishop_pass
If you''ve been following along for the last week or so in this forum,

Yep, and it has been very interesting, its a good place to disucuss techniques and applications.

My problem with sky domes are getting the perspective right - ie something that doesn''t look too curved or to flat.

quote:
Original post by RobertC
My problem with sky domes are getting the perspective right - ie something that doesn''t look too curved or to flat.

If you come up with anything, I''d like to see, had that problem too.

quote:
Original post by bishop_pass
I can only imagine your problem would be if you are projecting clouds onto the skydome, which isn''t what you should do, in my opinion. The dome is for the sky colors - no clouds. Clouds are rendered separately.

What do you mean by this and can you explain it to me?

Do you mean colour the skydome a certain gradient and render the clouds on a seperate surface (say, a plane?)

Yeah. The skydome is desirable because its latitude/longitude geometry echoes the gradients we see in the sky. It is easy to change the vertex colors to change the look of the sky, before clouds are present. Render the skydome first with no writing to the depth buffer. No polygon in the skydome could obscure another anyway.

Then, clouds are rendered as separate geometry, using whatever method you prefer - there are countless methods. Planes are one method.