Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stodge

Use the STL priority_queue or write my own version?

I''m already using a number of STL containers in my engine, but I was wondering if people thought the priority_queue was worth using for an event queue. Or does it not work too well (for whatever reason) and I should consider writing my own? Each event in the engine has a priority (system, high, medium and low). As an alternative I was thinking of using 1 STL queue container for each queue and just managing priorities myself. Any thoughts? Thanks

It works great. However, beware the default version using less as a predicate will give you the greatest element first. I found this counter-intuitive, but once you know you''re off & running.

Think Liberally..

Well, std:: priority_queue is O(log N). With 4 separate queues in an array you can easily archieve O(1) performance. But before doing it, think if std:: priority_queue is enough for your needs. I.e. If you need the priority queue quite rarely, like only 100 times / second, it'll most likely be fast enough. (I just had to say that before someone comes to warn me about the evilness of premature optimization)

edit: damn smileys

[edited by - civguy on January 29, 2003 7:23:57 PM]

I don''t mind using STL for ADTs that I use for holding data that will not be used during the running loop of the engine. (e.g. Texture management, Sprite Management etc) The reason for this I view STL as not Optimized for MY specific need. So i tend to program my own when I use stacks/lists/whatever if they are being used in a realtime environment, but using STL in loading environment and to hold and manage data is fine, but in a realtime situation writing your own can be much better.

In general STL is good but I don''t prefer to use it in a game loop.

I know this may not answer some of the more specific answers on how you should manager your queue, but you know you want that to work better than I.

-Syntax