Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NexSim

Sams Teach Yourself Windows Game Programming with DirectX in 21 Days

I already bought Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus
but André LaMothe talks about DirectDraw and I don''t want to start learning DirectX with something that now it''s useless. I want to get a book that teach me to use Direct3D(DX8 & DX9) in order to build a 2D engine and then go to 3D engines.

are there any direct x 9 books available yet ?

searched amazon and the only book i can find that mentions directx 9 is this one - Introduction to 3d Game Engine Design Using Directx 9 and C#, not much use to me as a novice c++ programmer, its not available until may.

anyone have any idea when we will start to see directx 9 books hitting the shelves ? like NexSim i will be wanting a book that teaches 2d and 3d using direct3d.

currently im making games using sdl, with the intent of moving onto directx once my knowledge of c++ has improved.

would it be better to wait until directx 9 books appear, i think it makes sence to wait (as long as we are talking a 2-3 months rather than 6months), im not in a great hurry as im having fun with sdl for the moment ?

You kidding. Directdraw is obsolete. Well do you know that directx 9, directdraw is back.

Think about it. Just focus on that book and save up money.

Regards,
Chua Wen Ching :D

"Very new to games I think"

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by masterg
Feel free to read reviews on this site, itself.

<A HREF="http://gamedev.net/columns/books/featuredbook.asp?productid=9">http://gamedev.net/columns/books/featuredbook.asp?productid=9</A>

that''s not the book he is talking about

The book I''m talking about has no review here.
"Sams Teach Yourself Windows Game Programming with DirectX in 21 Days"

Guest Anonymous Poster
wenching I dont know why you say that DirectDraw it''s back with DirectX9 ''cause I read the Programming Guide and Reference included with DircetX9.0 SDK C/C++ and I can''t remember in which part they talk about DirectDraw. If you saw it tell me where.