• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MetalWorX

SOMETHING TERRIBLY WRONG WITH GAMEDEV.NET

This topic is 6911 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

please could someone help me with my problem. pls let me know how to pick 3d objects from 2d mouse coords like in a real time strategy game??? (i mean in d3d immediate mode) there are no samples in the dx7 sdk. if u have one pls let me know.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
I don´t know the answer, but PLEASE DON´T use these misleading and irritating titles on your post.

Just think who bad this messageboard would be, if everybody used titles like: "MICROSOFT HAS BEEN SPLIT UP" or "GAMEDEV.NET IS CLOSING",
and then asked about something in their programs.

Just use a normal title and people will help you, because most people on gamedev.net are nice and helpfull (:

o, i used to know how to do it, it seems pretty straight forward (but unfortunately i forgot the function call )
just look in the help file that comes with the DX SDK, u''ll defintly find it there (that''s how i found it)

- pouya

I searched the help and could not find nything.
all i found was the damn ray pickin info in d3d rm.

how do i get it in d3d immediate mode???
do i have to write my own routines?? or is there someother
way accessing from one of the matrices???

thnx,
and sorry for postin this rotten title!!
(there was no other way of gettin someone to answer my Qs)

I think there are two ways of doing such a thing.

You find out the mouse''s screen coords, then you find out which most viable polygon intersects those screen coords and you select the unit with that polygon.

You cast a ray out and pick the first polygon it hits and have that unit.

Method two is apparently the best.

-Mezz

You don''t need misleading titles to get answers to your questions.

Infact, I refuse to answer questions that have titles that have nothing to do with the actual question. I hope others will ignore posts of this sort, too.

You may have noticed that I didn''t answer your question, too.

-Dan Smith
dans@3dgamedev.com

Guest Anonymous Poster
I have to agree with Dan.

Every day dozens of questions with normal titles are answered to people''s best ability.

Posting BIG SHOUTING TITLES is not only bad etiquette, but a sure way to irritate people who may well know the answer to your question.

Next time please post using a relevant title, and I''m sure someone can come up with something.

I did APPOLOGIZE!
there was no other way of gettin help.
just look down the different posts that i have posted=>
all read ZERO replies in BOLD.

pls help??????????

Dan Smith: Me too! I''m not gonna reply, even if it kills me!

.......well, actually I had to reply to state my refusal to reply...

Anyway, I don''t know how to answer the original question. You might try the DirectX forum though as it may have more people who could help.

- null_pointer
Sabre Multimedia

I have to agree with the above posters, misleading titles will only attract the wrong people.

Anyway, I have already answered this exact question a couple of times on this forum, so I''m sure if you search for it you will find it. If I''m not mistaken the title for one of those were "Picking objects in D3D?".

- WitchLord

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!