• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Azrael

Chris whats the less expensive fastest animation method?

This topic is 6915 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Chris, we are currently working on a multiplayer project and we were wondering if you could help us decide in this problem... which animation is the fastest vertex morphing or keyframed? (maybe I dont know bone weighted the new animation method) is very important for this method to be fast so we can beat internet lag in our strategy/ action game. Btw.. I just ckecked the new pictures of the PS2 version of unreal tournament and they look great! congratulations!

Advertisement
Keyframed can be faster than vertex morphing if you have a small number of moving segments. For example if you have hundreds of pieces that need to be rotated, it uses up a lot of time doing the quaternions and matrix math for them and vertex morphing would be faster.

So my answer is sometimes keyframed is faster, and sometimes vertex morphing is faster

The weighted bone method is slower than both of them, since it does both keyframing of the bone and vertex weights (which is roughly equivalent in processing time to the vertex morphing).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!