Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jolieebee

Stupid Question From Newbie~

Jolieebee    122
Hellow there! i''m a beginner of programming, i only have little experience in C programming. recently , i have apply a cource about game programming and design, and also start reading "Windows game programming for dummies" and "Tricks Of The Windows Game Programming Gurus", now i''m stick in the direct draw section because the details inside are strange and hard to understand. should i back to study more in C and C++? or should i continue to read that books, having a overview of game programming? thank you very much!

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
It depends on what you are having difficulty with:

Read up on C++ and COM
and practice, practice, practice :-)

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
In my opinion, if you are new to programming, I would say get away from the game/windows programming stuff! You probably aren''t ready for it if programming is new to you. Get to know C/C++ pretty well before you move onto those books. Once you have a good hold on c++, and want to start learning games, then hit the those books you mentioned. Don''t dive right into game programming just because you are really interested in it. Its like trying to learn algebra when you don''t know how to add or subtract. heh, bad example, oh well

Peon    276
I''d say learn more C++. I''ve gone into, and out of, DirectX several times because I felt I was ready and could understand it, only to find that I couldn''t I think that now if I tried it, I would have a lot more success because I have a lot more experience in general programming now than when I last tried it. Sure, you might be able to do some cool tricks with DirectX but if you don''t understand fully what you''re doing, it amounts to nothing and you will forget it as soon as you don''t use it (from my experience, anyway )

Peon

wenching    122
Well. I believe on one thing. Have my basics ready C# and now trying to know all the API in truevision3d engine. I believe in no time i can develop games like MOHAA.

So different people says different thing. I would recommend you to use a engine rather than learning directx or opengl. You can learn directx later if the API provided with engine is not enough.

Regards,
Chua Wen Ching :D

"Very new to games I think"