Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Class design problem

This topic is 5431 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well i dicided last night to try and make a game finally. An RPG (I hear you going *oh no* already lol).. Not an ambitious project at all. Just a very very simple RPG w/ crap graphics because im not an artist, little to no animation lol, no sound, 2D.. But would have more decent gameplay mechanics. Like Final Fantasy 3 style gameplay (best FF game )but with a more Final Fantasy Tactics battle system. I mostly just want to get something done and to expirement a little. Anyway, i started programming the item system first. I would like a random item system like in diablo 1/2. For example Sharp short sword of Strength 40% enhanced damage +10 to strength Anyway, long story shorter.. I managed to get a item generator carved out. It picked random affixes and I could *equip* it on a character class I quickly whipped up just to test it (tieing the item stats to agument the character stats). And print the character to console so get some visual feedback. It worked fine. However, the item generator code was so unelegant i just deleted it. It was really hard to extend it to work with a new affix, like adding fire resistance without doing lots of hardcoding. Any ideas, hints, code snippets would be greatly appreciated Reply or email me directly at hiltonr@t-one.net Please help, I really would like to get something put together while I still have some free time. Thanks And what would be best for this project DX, or OpenGL? I know enough of both API''s (although a small amount) to get the graphics done without too much trouble.
"I turned into a driveway I thought was mine and crashed into a tree I don''t have."- a real insurance claim