Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJsoft

New 3D action game from JJsoft Games

JJsoft    122
Hello! I am going to release a new 3D platform action game soon. Can you please test it on your PC? http://www.jjsoftgames.com/download/magebros_setup.exe Please provide your Windows version, DirectX version and the video card model in your reply. Thank you! James Saito JJsoft Games

z3lda    128
Nice game,I got to level 5 so far. The only thing I dont like is I can''t change the controls and using shift key to fire brings up the stickykey for windows XP which is annoying, but I fixed that. Overall I didn''t have any problems running the game and got about 55-60 fps on a p4 2.26 ghz with GF4 Ti.

John

Klindarin    122
No problem running the game either I was getting a lot more FPS''s oddly and I have a slower system but go figure.

FPS 80-90

800mhz AMD
Geforce2 MX
320mb Ram
Windows XP

Matt
President IGW Interactive
"Your Connection to the Independent Game World"

JJsoft    122
Thank you for the reply!

I didn''t know WinXP is so popular.
It seems WinXP + GeForce is the current standard, doesn''t it?
I think it''s time to upgrade my Win2000 and TNT2...

Ready4Dis    180
Windows XP Proffessional
Amd Duron 1.2ghz
Ati Redon 7200
192mb ram

Ran fine, fps stayed around 35 (vsync was enabled, so it was somewhere between 35 and 70).

*** Problem ***
Upon exit, it left the screen white, and I have to now reboot to get it to go away. The program didn''t exit completely, and just screwed up my system pretty nicely . It is still in my Alt+Tab list, but nowhere to be found in my Task Manager, so I can''t even do an End Task on it.

Ready4Dis    180
Oh, and in my Alt+Tab list, it is listed as not having a name (it''s just blank where a name should be), so if you give it a name, it may appear in my task list, I think this is why I can''t manually terminate it.

Prod    134
constant 60 to 63 fps in all video modes except rgb emulation

winxp pro
amd athlon tbird 1.2ghz
ati radeon 9500 pro
256 ram
dx9

hmm... looking at others i would think my fps would be higher, maybe my card is underclocked, i gotta check that out.

JJsoft    122
quote:
Original post by Ready4Dis
*** Problem ***
Upon exit, it left the screen white, and I have to now reboot to get it to go away. The program didn''t exit completely, and just screwed up my system pretty nicely . It is still in my Alt+Tab list, but nowhere to be found in my Task Manager, so I can''t even do an End Task on it.

Ready4Dis,
It sounds scary! Does it always happen?
I''ve never seen this problem before.
I have absolutely no idea about the cause of the problem.
Thank you for the report anyway.

JJsoft    122
quote:
Original post by Prod
constant 60 to 63 fps in all video modes except rgb emulation

hmm... looking at others i would think my fps would be higher, maybe my card is underclocked, i gotta check that out.

Prod,
In this game, FPS can never exceed the refresh rate of your monitor. I guess the refresh rate of your monitor at the resolution of 640x480 is set to 60Hz, that is why you get FPS around 60. If you can increase the refresh rate of your monitor, you will see higher FPS in the game.

Ready4Dis    180
Yes, I have had that problem before now that I'm thinking about it, but it was always caused by me screwing up a linked list while in full screen mode. I haven't tried your program since, but, i can go try it again in a little while (i'm not on that machine right now, my son is watching Sponge Bob on it).

Email me: Ready4Dis@aol.com
AIM: CrazyGuy4Eva
MSN: Ready4Dis_1@hotmail.com

* Edit * Missed a word

[edited by - Ready4Dis on January 31, 2003 11:01:00 AM]

JJsoft    122
Ready4Dis,
It would be great if you can test it again and see if it happens constantly. Also, you may try downloading the latest video driver and see how it goes.

Peon    276
Controls are a little awkward. I don''t like having jump, fire, and move on the same hand. I''d like to have jump on the left maybe? Either that or the movement on the left hand with WASD. Also, the movement is a bit deceiving. I think a left/right = rotate, forward/back = move. Maybe that''s just what I''m used to.

Overall, nice game -- I like it

WinXP Home
Pentium 4 Mobile 1.8ghz
Not sure; some Radeon mobile card
256 RAM
DX8

Peon

Muse    254
Gamepad support! You have made my day :-)
It runs perfectly on my system, fps also at 60, which just happens to be the refresh rate of my monitor.

Windows XP, DirectX 9.0, Athlon 1800XP, 64MB GF3

That is truly an awesome game.

JJsoft    122
quote:
Original post by Peon
Controls are a little awkward. I don''t like having jump, fire, and move on the same hand. I''d like to have jump on the left maybe? Either that or the movement on the left hand with WASD.

Peon,
This game includes cooperative 2-player mode and you are supposed to share the keyboard with 2 people. The second player uses WASD keys for his movement.

It''s an arcade style game, so playing with a keyboard is awkward anyway. It would be the best if you use an analog controller, which is still not popular for PC but standard for consoles.

reaction    100
No Probs,

100 FPS, Duron 700, GeForce2MX

Some definate noticable slowdown during some events though.

It looks good, esp. the fires. The sound is top quality too.

R

>OptionalReaction
I have now answered my own question many times

Windows XP, 32MB GeForce2 Go.

The game is fun and pretty well-designed. Good and bad points:

GOOD: The enemy models. It looks very good.
GOOD: Basic play mechanics, the lighting-torch thing, etc.
GOOD: The premise: a 3D cutsey-in-the-Mario-sense action game involving a wizard.

BAD: The player model. It's too simple and inhuman.
BAD: The controls. It's irritating having to use right-ctrl and right-shift. The controls should by default by left-ctrl and left-shift for a one-player game, and they should be remappable.
BAD: The way the wizard turns. You have to move a distance to fully turn to face that direction, which is very annoying and often dangerous.
BAD: Lack of weapon variety. I expected a wizard to start with a basic spell like he does, but to get a large variety of very cool spells as he goes on. Sure this is just a demo, but all I saw was a seeking wand whose projectiles looked exactly the same as the regular wand's (this is bad) and the double wand. You need greater variety and you need more than just projectiles. Also you need to be able to use multiple spells, instead of just having one wand / one attack. The spells should be fun, like making enemies squishy so you can bounce on them Mario-style, or turning an enemy to stone, etc. Be creative, and make sure it's fun.

~CGameProgrammer( );

[edited by - CGameProgrammer on February 7, 2003 7:56:26 AM]

Taylor    122
NAME: Taylor
SYSTEM: Pentium 3 WINDOWS 98 Second Edition
Directx 7.0 600mhz

REVIEW: I really liked the 3D graphics, however, the overall gameplay is easy. If at all possible make some of the spikes in the first level move a bit and maybe make some tough bigger characters. Other than that it is awesome. Great job adn keep up the good work.

PROBLEMS: Directx 6.0 or greater, in fact require the user to have DirectX and DirectX 3D. Be sure to include it with the installation of the game.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Taylor
EMAIL:music_dreamer@hotmail.com

JJsoft    122
CGameProgrammer and Taylor, thanks for the feedback.

CGameProgrammer, I agree some of your bad points. I know the player model is too simple, but my 3D modelling skill is quite limited. I can''t create realistic models... For the control, I thought it would confuse players if the control changes in 1-player mode and 2-player mode. I think remappable control would be very nice too, but I''m just too lazy for that! :-)

Taylor, this game requires DirectX7 or higher, and Direct3D is a part of DirectX7. The installer for DirectX is very large (11MB for DirectX8), so I don''t think it''s a good idea to include it in the game unless it is distributed in CDROMs.

z3lda    128
I don''t think you need to worry about your 3d models. They look perfectly fine and suit your game very well (especially for programmer art). It has a very old school feel to it. The simplicity is what makes it great. Course this is my opinion since I''m a fan of old school games/graphics.

John

JJsoft    122
z3lda, thanks for the comment!

CGameProgrammer, DirectX8 runtime installer is 11MB.
DirectX SDK is much bigger. (350MB for DirectX7 SDK.)