New 3D action game from JJsoft Games

Started by
34 comments, last by JJsoft 21 years, 1 month ago
NAME: Taylor
SYSTEM: Pentium 3 WINDOWS 98 Second Edition
Directx 7.0 600mhz

REVIEW: I really liked the 3D graphics, however, the overall gameplay is easy. If at all possible make some of the spikes in the first level move a bit and maybe make some tough bigger characters. Other than that it is awesome. Great job adn keep up the good work.

PROBLEMS: Directx 6.0 or greater, in fact require the user to have DirectX and DirectX 3D. Be sure to include it with the installation of the game.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Taylor
EMAIL:music_dreamer@hotmail.com
Taylor G.
Advertisement
CGameProgrammer and Taylor, thanks for the feedback.

CGameProgrammer, I agree some of your bad points. I know the player model is too simple, but my 3D modelling skill is quite limited. I can''t create realistic models... For the control, I thought it would confuse players if the control changes in 1-player mode and 2-player mode. I think remappable control would be very nice too, but I''m just too lazy for that! :-)

Taylor, this game requires DirectX7 or higher, and Direct3D is a part of DirectX7. The installer for DirectX is very large (11MB for DirectX8), so I don''t think it''s a good idea to include it in the game unless it is distributed in CDROMs.
I don''t think you need to worry about your 3d models. They look perfectly fine and suit your game very well (especially for programmer art). It has a very old school feel to it. The simplicity is what makes it great. Course this is my opinion since I''m a fan of old school games/graphics.

John
11MB sounds like the size of the DirectX SDK. The runtime itself is tiny.

~CGameProgrammer( );
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
z3lda, thanks for the comment!

CGameProgrammer, DirectX8 runtime installer is 11MB.
DirectX SDK is much bigger. (350MB for DirectX7 SDK.)
Windows XP, Pentium III 800MHz, TNT2

I think that in general you have made a wonderful effort!!
In spite of that I must agree with some of the bad points that have been stated. Especially this:
quote:
BAD: The way the wizard turns. You have to move a distance to fully turn to face that direction, which is very annoying and often dangerous.

You should make it turn fast (nearly immediately) in the selected direction.

I know this probably isn''t the proper forum to ask this, but as I''ve seen it in your game I want to ask you: How did you achive the shadow effect under the mage? I''m making a little game of my own and I''m looking for a simple effect just like that. Is it hard to implement?
I think you put alot of effort into this game and I like it! Unfortunately it doesn''t perform too well on my crappy laptop.

Win XP Pro
Athlon XP 1400
256 MB RA8
ATI Rage Mobility M1 8MB
DirectX 9

The problem is that the transparency of your sprites doesn''t work, I can see the black square borders around the fireballs you chuck, the shadows and water ripples. The card does support transparency. BTW the water splash effect is cool (well, it would be without the black borer!), is that generated procedurally?

Also the game only ran at 20 FPS which isn''t too good, but perhaps thats my slow graphics card and the game was still very playable at this speed.

I also suggest that perhaps your character should turn immediately.

I will test the game on my desktop computer if I can soon, it''s got a Geforce2 so I should have more luck with that.
quote:Original post by Night Elf
You should make it turn fast (nearly immediately) in the selected direction.

Actually there is a reason why I choose to make the player character rotate instead of making immediate turn. It''s hard to explain but I will try...

When you want to move diagonally you need to press two keys together, for example, Up arrow key and Left arrow key. If you want to stop the character while facing the diagonal direction, you have to release the two keys at the same time. But it is almost impossible for human to release the two key exactly at the same time in 1/60 second. So you end up releasing one key first, say Up arrow key, and then Left arrow key, so you end up facing towards the left.

I examined and struggled to fix this problem for a while, and I finally found the current way of movement, rotating character towards the desired direction.

quote:Original post by Night Elf
How did you achive the shadow effect under the mage? I''m making a little game of my own and I''m looking for a simple effect just like that. Is it hard to implement?

It''s just a polygon with a texture of black circle. It is a bit tricky when the character stands at the edge of the cliff because you need to split up the shadow polygon.
quote:Original post by bazee
The problem is that the transparency of your sprites doesn''t work, I can see the black square borders around the fireballs

Hi Bazee,
I think it is caused by the shortage of VRAM. I have tested this game on 16MB VRAM card but never tested on 8MB VRAM card. I created a "light" version which uses less VRAM. (Removed some unnecessary textures.)

http://www.jjsoftgames.com/download/magebros_light.exe

Can you try it out and let me know how it goes?
Thanks.
I don''t understand, why would a lack of VRAM cause the transparency on the textures not to work? If it''s relevant, I think I''ve also got 16MB of system memory dedicated to the graphics card too.

I checked with the DX caps viewer utility and found that my card supports textures with an alpha component in both 16 and 32 bits per pixel textures. Does your game enumerate all the possible texture formats?

I tried the light version of the game, but I had the exact same problem as with the normal version. It''s annoying you seem to have a bug on one particular machine, but don''t be disheartened because it''s still a good game and seems to work on most other computers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement