Do you think using Visual Basic is programming ?

Started by
24 comments, last by Mescalito 21 years, 2 months ago
quote:HTML isn''t programming.

Don''t just make some stupid quote, but tell us WHY it isn''t. Else you could''ve just not post here. A message like this is useless. I agree that HTML is not a programming language (and HTML is certainly not PROGRAMMING ) but a markup language. The guy you quoted ALREADY SAID THIS so I don''t really see any point in your post... oh well... hmm
Advertisement
HTML isn''t programming. There are no variables involved, the effect is only limited, non-compilable... basically, I''d see this more as a scripting language, personally.

VB is a programming language. You can do just a great with VB as you would with C++. As proof, here''s a screenshot of an unfinished game I wrote in VB. It runs music using an SPC engine (yes, SNES music) even. The attempt was to recreate an SNES-like game.

Ran a little slow on slower computers, but hey, what can I say. VB is a little more of a hog than C++.
quote:Original post by RuneLancer
HTML isn''t programming. There are no variables involved, the effect is only limited, non-compilable...

The question of whether a language has variables or is compilable is not an arbiter of whether it is a programming language. You might say that HTML is not Turing-complete, and therefore is not a programming language. Or, you might say that a language needs to have a specification carrying semantics which describe how constructs can affect the state of the machine, which would rule out silly claims of XML being a programming language.
quote:
basically, I''d see this more as a scripting language, personally.

It''s a mark-up language.
Hi everyone and thanks for all replies.

First I''d like to say that I didn''t think that so many people would be "hurt" by my question and that they would reply "injuring" me...
But you know programmers and their egos...

I NEVER wanted to say that Visual Basic wasn''t programming it was a SIMPLE question and I wanted YOUR OPINION !

So why did I post this question ?
I did 8 years programming and I used many languages to see what was this and that. I used Basic, Pascal, Visual Basic (!), C, Assembly, C++, Caml, Java.
Now I only use C/C++/Assembly.

I used VB for 2 years.
One day I''ve read that Visual Basic executables weren''t "real ones". They only contains calls to .dll and that explained why vb programs were so slow.

From this I started thinking that visual basic programs were another system of programming than "pure" languages that are assembly, pascal, c/c++.

So don''t feel hurt everytime we''re asking you something and be subjective ! No one really answered the question...
c++ and assembly are too high level. I code everything in binary!

Seriously who gives a shit.. just code and get better fucker
Actually, pretty much everyone answered the question. In your two years have you never looked at the progress bar while you were waiting for a program to "Make exe"?? If you did, you would most certaily have seen the word compile hover in front of you for a while. VB also gives you a number of optimisation options, including "Compile for small code" and "Compile for fast code". You can also optimise for a number of Intel specific options. To me this concludes that VB does in fact compile to machine code, therefore, in my mind, forming the basis that whoever told you it was nothing more than referencing dlls (which, lets face it, could also be said of any programming language that has to reference or import classes, headers, API calls, etc.) is talking through their arse!

[EDIT] As a side note, how in hell has nes not seen this yet!?! :D

#Old Steve, he said to Xerox "Boys, turn your heads and cough"
And when no-one was looking he ripped their interfaces off#
Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie on the truth behind MacOS 1

SketchSoft | SketchNews

[edited by - doodle_sketch on February 4, 2003 11:56:55 AM]
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement