Do you think using Visual Basic is programming ?

Started by
24 comments, last by Mescalito 21 years, 2 months ago
My title is explicit I think.
Advertisement
If you knew what programming is, you wouldn''t ask that question.

Visual Basic acomplish all the requirements to be a programming language, therefor, making visual basic proguies is programming.

If you are being sarcastic, programming dosn''t have to be difficult in order to be worthy. And it''s very possible to make very usefull programs with vb with 1/4 of the people necesary to make them with c++, and in 1/4 of the time. You just need a computer 3/4 more powerfull to run the app.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
"Do you think using Visual Basic is programming?"

I hope you don''t mean to place yourself above VB programmers, because that would make me place you BENEATH them... I think Visual Basic certainly should be called ''programming'', whatever that word may mean to you. I think it can be more ''programming'' than C++ in some way, since you are programming higher level and thus you spend more time on thinking how to program the game/application/demo/whatever than on reinventing the wheel by doing everything low-level.

I hope this gives you a new sight to programming. Just for the record: I''ve been programming C++ 2 years now, before that I programmed (visual) basic for about 8 years. I think I can say I know the difference quite well and C++ is not much different from VB, just lower-level.
Yes, Visual Basic is programming. Just because it''s higher level than languages like C++ doesn''t mean it isn''t real programming. I personally use both Visual Basic and C++, depending on the project. I prefer C++, but sometimes I am working on a project that doesn''t require totally optimized code and I don''t want to bother with low level programming.

Nicholas Skapura
skapura.2@wright.edu
http://skap.8k.com
AIM: skap35
--------------------Nicholas Skapuraskapura.2@wright.eduhttp://skap.8k.comAIM: skap35
Hell, PHP/ASP/Python etc.... are ALL programming.

Programming isn''t how close to the machine code you get.
daerid@gmail.com
I certainly hope it is classed as programming, otherwise I just got paid for picking my nose at my last couple of contracts...
html is kinda like programming well, not really, its a mark-up langauge lol
I love these language flamebaits . But what I really would like to so is some examples of work by those who knock languages.

Trying is the first step towards failure.
quote:Original post by ragonastick
I love these language flamebaits . But what I really would like to so is some examples of work by those who knock languages.

hehe what you mean?
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Several of my friends would say that PHP, Python, ASP, *.Net, etc are all scripting and not programming. All of them are ''scripters'' in their own words, so they aren''t meaning it in a derogitory way.

----------
crAzy
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement