Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Data Conversion

This topic is 5434 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it possible to convert WORD to WCHAR? Reason I asked is because I'm trying to gather information from a task in the MS Task Scheduler using the SYSTEMTIME structure. I would use wprintf() except that I want to display the information using the GDI+ Graphics class DrawString() method but it wants a const WCHAR *string. Is there an easier way to do this or am I just missing the obvious? I've tried countless google searches and the closest I've come is finding how to convert them the other way around. -Vlarr [edited by - Vlarr on January 30, 2003 11:49:57 AM]

In Win32, at least, the only difference is: WORD is an unsigned short, WCHAR a signed short. You should be able to cast between them without a problem, though I don''t know what will happen with your particular functions.

/start code

Graphics Gfx(hdc);
SYSTEMTIME NextRunTime;

result = pITask->GetNextRunTime(&NextRunTime);

pITask->Release()

Gfx.DrawString(NextRunTime.wMonth,-1, &fnt, dateText, &whiBrush);

/end code

Obviously the compiler complains about the first parameter of DrawString() but it illustrates what I''m trying to do.

From what I can tell .wMonth is type WORD and the first parameter of DrawString requires const WCHAR*, but casting just brings all sorts of nasty problems. I tried both static_cast and reinterpret_cast.

-Vlarr

sprintf() it into a char[] array, or use std::string.

Then pass that array/string into the DrawString function.

like:

char buffer[100];
sprintf(buffer,"NextRunTime: %i",NextRunTime.wMonth);
Gfx.DrawString(buffer,-1, &fnt, dateText, &whiBrush);