the big rpg's faults

Started by
12 comments, last by sjaak 21 years, 2 months ago
make a game with a worthy story. Who would actually want to save a princess. I am more likely to capture the tyrant bitch myself. I dont understand why fantasy stories always involve monarchy. I admit, that you usually end up fighting a greater evil than the tyrants, but why not fight the great evil for a better cause is all im saying. oh well. this rambling was probably useless, because no one ever agrees with my weird opinion.
Advertisement
Best game ever made: Earthbound for the SNES.

Reasons: Too many to list, but one in particular is the way it handled monster fighting.

When you got to be of a significantly higher level then a monster, when you attacked it, you got the kill (along with the xp, the gold and any items it had) automatically. No battle, just loot. Of course, the loot wasn''t a huge deal because the monsters was a much lower level then you, but it was a great feature!

Also, monsters would run (fly/walk/whatever) toward you if they saw you on the screen. BUT, when you killed the main boss for that area, all the monsters would move AWAY from you (as if they were now scared of you).

This fit in really well with the first-strike system. You would get the first-strike in a battle if you touched a monster''s sprite in the back or side to initiate the battle. If the monster''s sprite touched YOU in the back or side, HE got the first strike. If it was head-to-head (normally it was), it was just a regular battle.

But after the boss of the area was dead, and all the monsters ran away from you, it was easy to touch their backs to get first-strike. And if you got first-strike, the game gave you an "auto-kill" at a much smaller level range.
hello all,

sorry for the slow post from me, busy busuybusy
also i didn''t think this tread would be this big, thanks for all the reply''s! (actually they are to many te reply them all) so i''ll just talk a bit about my own plans and try to reply to some of you.

still one of the most import things in the game (as fare as i can see it are: speed (no slow up stuff like long battles, the abbility to skip things you''ve already seen). but on the other hand ther''s realisme which i can''t deny (even if it''s a game)
and also the story (which i think should combine Linear Stories and non-Linear Stories (and avoid princess cliche''s i know =), i alse like different endings.

also a question, what about the experince system, should it be like diablo (distribute points on your own) or you just cat some points added to your old ones, with no influence?

thanks for all the info and hope you all post some more thnx
Experience...it takes more than the course of 20 hours of play (which is rarely more than maybe a month or so game time?) to go from villager joe to evil death machine ork berserker gruk with 900,000,00 hitpoints and a super invincibility rage that lasts 10 weeks. More often than not this insane experience/power scale is just used to cover up the lack of a story.

Monolithic evil adversaries...no thank you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement