Soukoban as first game

Started by
1 comment, last by RizMan 21 years, 2 months ago
Hello folks, I am a student in Computer Science and in my spare time, I love playing games. So I was thinking (as many of the newbies like myself) of coding a game. So I came up with the idea of coding a Soukoban clone. So my question is quite simple. Do you think this could be a good project to start with? I''ve read through a lot of articles here on gamedev.net and other sites. Most of them tell to start with some sort of Tetris clone, but I am personally not a big fan of it, so I''d rather do something else. Another point about soukoban is that in the process I could learn to make an editor for the levels. This would infact mean that there would be 2 projects (The game and the editor). Do you think this is a little bit to much for someone new to game programming? As I said, I''m CS student, so Data structure and programming in itself isn''t quite an issue. Also, I learned OpenGL with NeHe''s tutorials and I bought "OpenGL Game Programming". So the coding in itself won''t be the problem. What I''m worried about is the game design, structure of my projects (i.e. how to split the different parts of the engine (2d Engine in this case) into different files etc.... I''m not used to this kind of projects as until now I only had to write programs which didn''t span more than 300 lines i.e. could be handled in one file. Any comment or help is appreciated Thanks in advance
Advertisement
hi, can''t write as much now cause i''m dead tired and need some sleep bad. soukoban is a good programming exercise, and i think that you should do it. you can download my version either at www.download.com (soukoban 1.0) or here in the gamedev showcase. feel free to ask me as much as you want! email is as follows:
modig@gdnmail.net (in case your email bounce back it''s cause my inbox is full, i will empty it tomorrow!)
that''s funny. A few minutes before I started this thread, I downloaded your version from Acidstorm
Anyway, thanks for the offer. I wrote down your E-Mail and will ask you when I got a problem.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement