• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

From Point A to Point B?

This topic is 5499 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This may seem like a dumb question, and I know its been done many times before, but I can''t get my sprite to take the best path between two points. Right now I do something like this: if(sprite.x < ptX) sprite.x++; if(sprite.x > ptX) sprite.x--; if(sprite.y < ptY) sprite.y++; if(sprite.y > ptY) sprite.y--; This works, however, it doesn''t take the best path to the object. For example, if the X distance is smaller than the Y distance, then the sprite will only be moving along the Y coord for a set amount of time. I can''t seem to figure out how to get it to take the best path. Any suggestions? Thanks. *====================* http://www.syntasoft.com *=======================*

Advertisement
google for bresenham line algorithm sourcecode, it''ll do exactly what you want.

2DNow - Specializing in yesterday''s technology today!

Actually, if your character can only go up, down, left, or right, following a line using the bresenham line algorithm won''t be any quicker than the way it is going now.

A simple algorithm to go down the middle is this:

(assuming up, down, left, right restriction)

if (abs(sprite.x - ptX) > abs(sprite.y - ptY)) {
sprite.x += (sprite.x > ptX)? -1 : 1;
} else if (abs(sprite.y - ptY) > abs(sprite.x - ptX) {
sprite.y += (sprite.y > ptY)? -1 : 1;
} else {
if (rand()%2) {
sprite.x += (sprite.x > ptX)? -1 : 1;
} else {
sprite.y += (sprite.y > ptY)? -1 : 1;
}
}

• Advertisement