• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

daerid

YAFQ (Yet another Factory Question)

This topic is 5769 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I haven''t yet really encountered a situation that warrants the use of "Pluggable Factories" or "Abstract Object Factories" or "Chocolate Chip Cookie Factories"... wait, that''s not one... anywho... Could someone gimme a good example of where the Factory Pattern would really help out?

Advertisement
Read "Why Pluggable Factories Rock My Multiplayer World" By Mason McCuskey in the multiplayer articles section here at gamedev.net.

Factories rock.

[edited by - TheBigJ on January 31, 2003 1:59:04 AM]

quote:
Original post by Void
Get Modern C++ Design by Andrei Alexendrascu
Interesting, he''s my CSE 341 TA. I just had his class this morning.

quote:
Original post by Void
Get Modern C++ Design by Andrei Alexendrascu

Modern C++ Design for someone that doesn''t understand the motivation behind factories? Are you *trying* to cause daerid to have a nervous breakdown?

Its really a book for people who routinely use the patterns investigated. Andrei uses his generic programming skills to try and create concrete versions. It''s not for beginners by any stretch of the imagination. It''s interesting and sometimes useful.

I''ve been trying to find that book, but unfortunately, the only way I can seem to get it is online

Oh well.

Actually, I think I may understand them quite well, if not by that name. I have extensive experience with the Torque Game Engine, which uses a system for it''s scripting objects and network objects that''s basically an object factory (I''d never heard that term while working with the engine, though).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!