• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stoner Sunshine

Asset Management Questions

This topic is 5673 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m currently working on my first solo OpenGL project and am looking for a ways to manage my texture assets. The project has a ton of different textures that will be used throughout the project, and I''m looking for a way to make it so that I don''t have to have a "textures" folder with 100+ textures in it that anyone who uses the program can open and alter. I''m not sure, but I think that file compression may be the answer that I''m looking for. However, I''ve had absolutely no experience with it. If anyone has any suggestions, links to tutorials, or anything like that, it would be a great help. Thanks a lot.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Almost all games use a system like you''re describing - placing all game assets into a single file. Look up Doom WAD files or Quake files on the net for information about them. And you can add more than just textures - models, level data, audio, etc can be added as well.

As far as compressing them is concerned, it all depends on the format you store your textures in. If they''re PNG''s then it wouldn''t be worth compressing them - they''re already compressed. A good guide to checking if compressing them is worth it is to ZIP all the files and compare the file sizes (sum of individual files versus the zipped file). If you find that compressing them would save disk space, then you''ll need something like zlib (which is free and not patent restricted), again, use Google to find sites about this.

If you want to load data really quickly, then create a data file for each level and store the data in it in the order that it will be read, so that when reading, no seeking is ever performed. This really helps big time when reading off a CD.

Skizz

I would recommend WAD3 as a good format for this - it''s easy to load and work with, and each texture gets it''s own palette of 256 colors (meaning that while you''re a little restricted, it''s not as bad as some formats which require every texture to have the same palette).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!