• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BertieL

Physics Newbie

This topic is 5590 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have just recently begun game programming and have created some Breakout and Bomberman demo''s. I am now trying to move to the next level with a platform type game. Currently I like to make a ball (or later a playing character) move around a 2D tile based environment going over slopes, jumps and loop the loops. I must stress I have more of a maths background than physics. I was wondering whether to attempt a full physics based environment or whether there are some shortcut tricks available. I can pretty much figure out the simple slopes and jumps but its the loop the loop that''s a pain. I felt if I went for a full physics thing then it would just be a matter of letting the physics do the work and the same equations could effectively be applied each time just the parameters changing. (such as gradient/angles etc) I am working with devices with limited memory and processor power so these need to be taken into account so some well known tricks might be better. I''ve a feeling using full physics might slow things down too much but have an open mind. Help!!! Cheers B

Advertisement
Dont worry, physics formulas are EXACTYLY the same as maths equations.

Try angle of projection as an example:

B = V/a(cos0x+sin0z)+ 1/a^2 z

0 = null

If God made us, who Made God?
If you cant make it, let it make you.
"I play violent Computer games, I could snap at any moment!"

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!