• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, how many games do you play?

This topic is 5501 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When I read these forums, reading threads about either programming or design, I always see people making references to other games, and their features. That all made me wonder, how many games do you actually play? Do you play everything you can get a hold of? Also, how do you look at a game? Do you play it for fun? Do you completely endulge yourself in the game? Or do you always look at it in a critical way, and are very aware of the design and features of the game at any time? I''m a "one-man-team" and I have to do all the designing and programming myself. Personally I like this because I can combine my ideas and artistic abilities (*cough* *cough*) with my programming skills. I kinda adds a whole different dimension to game writing as you''re aware of implementation difficulties in a design. However, because I do everything myself, I have little time to play other games. And I don''t thoroughly analyse the games I play. I wonder how you lot look at a game.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Structural
...I have little time to play other games. And I don''t thoroughly analyse the games I play.

I play much less games since I started programming than I did before. I used to play everything I could get my hands on. In some ways it''s a blessing though, because now I only play the games that are considered really, really good.
I do find myself analysing them, and wondering if there is anything in the game I''m playing that would be a good addition to my current project.

pan narrans | My Website | Study + Hard Work + Loud Profanity = Good Code

Like yourself, I am very much a one man team at the moment, trying to find time for design, programming, modelling and texturing, while working a full time job and maintaining a reasonably healthy social life.

I don''t bother trying to play every game out there, but I make an effort to at least try out the ''important'' ones. If I see people making repeated references to a particular game on here or any other site, I''ll either go out and buy it or try and get hold of a demo.

I too, have become a one-man team, anf it has damped my apetite for playing just any old computer game...

Had I not gotten into game development, I would not still be deliberating over which console system I should buy, none of them exibit a small tight set of VERY good games, which is exactly what I''m looking for. But, as Sandman suggested, it''s still important to get a broad background of games. Not so much to reach a point of l337-ness in them, or as a gamer, but rather to experience what there is on offer and broaden your own idea of what a game is.

struct {person "George D. Filiotis";} Symphonic;
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!

Guest Anonymous Poster
I play anything I can get my hands on. Usually not the first-day released, I reserve that for my personal highly-anticipated games, but when they get to about 10 to 20, maybe even 30 dollars(US), then I start buying, playing, analyzing, sometimes beat the game (if it keeps me going), get bored and say that the game sucks or that its just overplayed/boring, and then start all over again with a new game.

quote:
Original post by Structural
how many games do you actually play?
I don''t know, I am not good at counting games I have played. I had a 200 in 1 NES cartridge, so...I think it''s gotta be somewhere around that number :D
quote:

Do you play it for fun?
When I was a kid, yeah, but not after I have passion in programming games. Some games, however, I still play them for fun.
quote:

Do you completely endulge yourself in the game? Or do you always look at it in a critical way, and are very aware of the design and features of the game at any time?
I don''t know if I am aware of every single element of the game. But sometimes, I do notice, think, how the developers implement a specific feature in the game (programming and art wise). For example, ROMs. Initially, I downloaded ROMs because I want to play my old favorite games back. Or, I have some unfinished business with some games. When the emulators start to evolve, adding more functionality (such as turning on/off backgrounds/textures, sounds, etc) I start to look at ROMs in the development point of view. I play ROM games, not for fun, but to see how they are done. How each frame is composed, how the animation is done.

return 0;

I play everything I can get ahold of. Here is (at least what I can remember) of my current game collection. Over the years I''ve traded in and sold hundreds.

XBOX

Halo, Enclave, Munch''s Odyssey, Splinter Cell
Jet set radio future, racing game

GameCube

Dragon''s lair 3d, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil, Resident Evil 0, Rogue Squadron, Pikmin, Spider Man, Scooby Doo, luigi''s mansion,
super mario sunshine, the simpsons road rage

Playstation 2

Devil may cry 2, Grand theft auto vice city, NHL 2002, the sims,
king''s field, Devil May cry, Grand Theft Auto III, final fantasy 10

PC

MorrowWind, NeverWinter nights, unreal tournament 2003, quake 3 arena, unreal tournament, unreal, clive barker''s undying, alice, warcraft 3, diablo 2, need for speed

and these are the ones I can remember offhand while I''m at work. There are certainly some I am forgetting, plus the pc, those are just the ones that i bought . I am a fanatic.

My first games for the PC were (approximately in this order, along with my reponses - not a totally inclusive list!):

Microsoft Flight Simulator (research, man - I'm a programmer!)
X-wing (WOW I didn't know games could be like this!!!)
A-10 Thunderbolt (played this already on an older machine, nice framerate here!)
Comanche (nice terrain rendering)
Doom (well, now this is mindless)
TIE Fighter (cool music)
Rebel Assault (need a CD-ROM - hey a glorified shooting gallery!)
Doom 2 (Gotta upgrade my machine just to play that last level!)
Warcraft 2 (Hmm, interesting... do a lot of people like this? Better save here in case I lose the mission... reload... reload...)
Quake (Hmm, not bad, a little dark though)
Quake 2 (Interesting, nice use of graphics)
Diablo (Simple concept. I should be able to do something like this. Whoa, multiplayer is HARD.)
Half-life (I'll just test it and see if it works - stopped playing 3 hours later)
StarCraft (This is hard - but after learning some of the secrets, "mastered" the Zerg - meaning I never competed online)
Battlezone (Wierd premise, but hey it grows on you, almost like a romance)
EverQuest (cool when you're with a good group, but the time it takes to play, way too much...)
Battlezone 2 (nice graphics, unit handling just ok now)
Diablo 2 (whoa, addictive.)

I think after that, games were pretty much the same for me, I was just studying the interesting ways they express themselves and getting a knack for the general mentality behind the designers. One good one that comes to mind is the Brainiac unit of Sacrifice back in 2001. Supposedly, it could read your mind. Whenever you told it to go somwhere, it would say "I knew it!" or "Way ahead of you!" Funny.

Typically I don't play more than 3 games at a time. Right now I'm playing UT2003 and No One Lives Forever 2. Battlefield 1942 may be my next purchase. Maybe SimCity 4, but I might just play that game for a couple hours and never touch it again.

One of the primary questions I was asked on game programming interviews was what were my favorite games, and how would I improve them. That kind of mentality, it seems, is what they are looking for.

[edited by - Waverider on January 31, 2003 2:35:24 PM]

I usually play 5 or less games every week. I see the begining, play a little, and if I like what I see, I continue. Otherwise, I say bye, bye to that game. When I play a game, I want to have fun but also look interesting ideas.

• Advertisement