• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

d000hg

How does texture size/format affect speed?

This topic is 5677 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just wondered what difference I''d get between a 256x256 and a 64x64 texture. Also, if I can use a 256 paletized texture instead of 32bit rgb would that be faster or slower? Does using the compressed texture formats cause much slow-down and do the TNT2 + Voodoo3 cards support this? What are normal sized textures for like grass or rock/snow/mud etc?
Read about my game, project #1 NEW (18th December)2 new screenshots, one from the engine and one from the level editor
John 3:16

Advertisement
I know that 256x256 is the optimal standard. For now...

/* Bullmax */
-------------
Reality has many forms : good and evil, black and white, yin and yang.

> I just wondered what difference I'd get between a 256x256 and
> a 64x64 texture.

When thinking about texture size, two things must be taken into account :

1. Video memory usage
2. Video memory bandwidth

(1) is pretty obvious. For (2), remember that the bigger your texture is, the bigger amount of memory your GPU will have to read and thus, the slower it will be to render your polygons. Note that mipmaping allows to save bandwidth when your objects are far enough to not need a big texture.

But basically, bigger textures are slower, at least when your objects are near enough to need the 0th level of mipmaping.

> Also, if I can use a 256 paletized texture instead of 32bit
> rgb would that be faster or slower?

It should be faster if the card supports it. I've never tried it though so if someone who has could tell us for sure it would be safer. You can also make a quick test to see which one's faster.

> What are normal sized textures for like grass or rock/snow/mud
> etc?

It *really* depends on what you're doing and what your target configuration is. Some games don't use textures bigger than 256x256, and U2K3 can use 1024x1024 textures only for a character if you set it to a good enough level of detail. However, remember it's pretty useless to use a huge texture for a little object. My advice would be to try different sizes and choose the one which looks good without killing the framerate.

> I know that 256x256 is the optimal standard

I've never heard of such a thing, please elaborate. I know that 256x256 was often used because older cards (like Voodoo 1&2) don't support textures bigger than that but I'm pretty sure a 256x256 texture will be slower (or as fast as) than a 64x64 one.

> Does using the compressed texture formats cause much slow-down
> and do the TNT2 + Voodoo3 cards support this?
A compressed texture is meant to be faster than an uncompressed one since you use less memory bandwidth (and since the decompression is hardware accelerated it's kinda free).

As far as I know TNT2 & Voodoo3 cards don't support texture compression, as least under OpenGL. All GeForces and Radeons support it though.

[edited by - Prosper/LOADED on January 31, 2003 10:05:54 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!