• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robertgamble

Best API to start with, OpenGL or DX?

This topic is 5593 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been playing around with doing 3D graphics in javascript for awhile, and have done a few raycasters and projection engines. But I think it''s time to move on to doing it all in C (it''d be nice to be able to draw more than 1000 polygons per second without the frame rate dropping!). I''ve done quite alot of C programming in the past, in DOS and for various consoles but I''ve not really touched windows programming or either of the main graphics APIs. So anyway would it be sensible to get used to windows programming first, and perhaps use GDI until I''m comfortable with it? Or would I would learning DX/OpenGL as I learn windows programming be a better idea? I''ve heard that DX is a bit harder to learn than OpenGL, so it might be a better idea to start with OGL.. But learning DX would probably be alot more worthwhile than OpenGL in the longterm, would anything I learn with openGL be transferable to DX? Thanks.

Advertisement
anything done with OGL can be done with D3D ... if i were you i would try both for a bit of time and see myself which one i feel more comfortable with. Dont stick with the GDI you have.. other alternatives for OGL and D3D is allegro and "SDL?". correct me is it's wrong, isn't SDL a wrapper of D3D ?

[edited by - Metal Typhoon on January 31, 2003 8:06:39 AM]

DirectX is for the smart people =) (to start with of course)

Are you smart enough?

[edit]btw, this thread should be closed...
.lick

[edited by - Pipo DeClown on January 31, 2003 8:13:08 AM]

DirectX is the better API to start with because it works with C# and C# is an overall better language than C or C++.

-- Exitus Acta Probat --

quote:
Original post by jperalta
DirectX is the better API to start with because it works with C# and C# is an overall better language than C or C++.

-- Exitus Acta Probat --

in youre opinion. btw he asked about DirectX/openGL not languages, im sure you can find a few c++ vs c# if you look hard enough

I myself started out with DirectX, wrote a decent terrain engine with it. Then I started trying out things in OpenGL and I was blown away by the much more simple method things are done (in my opinion at least). For me DirectX seems obscure and at times illogical. OpenGL on the other hand met what I felt a 3D api should be.

Whichever you go with, you will be pleased with the results. However I suggest you try both before deciding to go full steam ahead on one.

if all u want is to do gfx stuff and see the results fast, yes OGL is preferable since its a lot more straightforward and simpler in syntax.
but if u''re in to learning the win32 API and extended dabbling into COM, then directX is a good direction. both API''s are equally capable, however directX has that ''advanced-coder'' feel to it.
me? i go with OGL... its more forgiving when the API encounters errors

quote:
Original post by noVum
no SDL is a cross platform tool and thus is a wrapper around OpenGL

SDL provides cross platform input, sound, threads, timing and 2d graphics. While it is easy to integrate with opengl it isn''t really a wrapper for it. However, on windows SDL will use directx to accellerate it''s 2d graphics.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!